[SOLVED] Upgrading the CPU Cooler on an HP p6727c

Aug 10, 2020
Yes, I know the computer is 10 years old. It does what I need it to. The most taxing gaming I do is Stellaris, and this does fine with it. It's got an Athlon II X4 640 running at 3ghz and it's got the stock cooler on it. I think I want to upgrade the cpu cooler. When I'm running a game and either Zoom or Discord, the cpu temperature hovers between 66C and 71C, going as high as 75c. I know this is right at the edge/slightly over what the max is supposed to be. AS the computer does everything I need it to, I figured I'd just upgrade the cpu cooler. Any suggestions? I don't know what I need. I'm pretty sure the cpu cooler is the stock cooler (what came with it). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edit: This is a desktop, the motherboard an N-Alovrix-RS880

Last edited:
Solution
These coolers are on the budget side and will fit ur mb socket, however u will have to measure urself and compare to the coolers specs will they fit inside the case or collide with your ram sticks (2 slots closer to cpu might become blocked):

be quiet! Pure Rock Slim
Cooler Master Hyper 212

These are a bit pricier but horizontal rather than vertical so they should fit for sure, still though will have to check the possbile ram collision:

Noctua NH-L9x65
be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2
Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet

Thing worth trying first is replacing old thermal compund while keeping the old cooler and see if this help the temps. Get urself Arcticlean or simple isopropyl alcohol and some quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
These coolers are on the budget side and will fit ur mb socket, however u will have to measure urself and compare to the coolers specs will they fit inside the case or collide with your ram sticks (2 slots closer to cpu might become blocked):

be quiet! Pure Rock Slim
Cooler Master Hyper 212

These are a bit pricier but horizontal rather than vertical so they should fit for sure, still though will have to check the possbile ram collision:

Noctua NH-L9x65
be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2
Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet

Thing worth trying first is replacing old thermal compund while keeping the old cooler and see if this help the temps. Get urself Arcticlean or simple isopropyl alcohol and some quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or SilentiumPC PT2, I'd advise you do that anyway since you have to have something to clean the cpu even when swapping to new cooler and attached or pre-applicated paste is way less efficient than those I mentioned.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll need to measure the mounting holes. HP, Dell, Lenovo and other prebuilts often used proprietary mounting systems for the coolers, non standard layouts, even larger than normal mount holes at times. This was done to fit the special plastic shrouds etc that were often used to put cpu heat out of the case by using the cpu fan.

Pop the back of the case where you can get to the mounting tabs easy enough (hopefully) and measure between the pins. Should be 96mm x 48mm, that'll fit All amd fm/fm2/am2/am3/am3+ coolers.

You'll need to measure the mounting holes. HP, Dell, Lenovo and other prebuilts often used proprietary mounting systems for the coolers, non standard layouts, even larger than normal mount holes at times. This was done to fit the special plastic shrouds etc that were often used to put cpu heat out of the case by using the cpu fan.

Pop the back of the case where you can get to the mounting tabs easy enough (hopefully) and measure between the pins. Should be 96mm x 48mm, that'll fit All amd fm/fm2/am2/am3/am3+ coolers.
Its standard amd bracket mounting on that old board, meaning a clip on stock mounting aftermarket would be the best choice.

doseyclwn - what country are you in??

Aug 10, 2020
I can see a bunch of dust on the cpu fan. I'm wondering if I took the stock cooler off, cleaned all the dust off, then reapplied with new thermal paste if the performance would improve? Like I said, seems to perform okay, but those high temps under load bother me a bit.

Aug 10, 2020
So I decided before buying anything, I was going to clean off the cpu. I had previously used compressed air to blow out the dust, but it still wasn't clean. So I took off the side panel, unclipped the cpu cooler. I unscrewed the fan and cleaned it thoroughly, as it was pretty dusty even though I'd blown it out. I cleaned off the top of the cpu and the bottom of the cooler, but it barely had any paste on it at all. I cleaned all the dust out of the heat sink, and there was more caked on there under the fan than I would have believed. I made sure it was clean. I took some thermal paste I got from work (Thermaltake TG-7) and put a pea-sized dot in the middle of the cpu. I put the heatsink and fan back on it and clipped it back on so it was secure. I cleaned out the fan that was in the back of the machine thoroughly. Then I booted it up and ran a bunch of tests. Now, after having cleaned it, the machine seems to idle between 21c and 28c. I put it under all kinds of loads including a burn in test, another benchmark test, ran zoom and hearts of iron 4 and discord at the same time. The cpu temp neve got above 43c matter what I did or how long (admittedly, I capped it out at about 20 minutes. I think I'm actually good. Thank you all for all your help

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Finally! Lol. It's rare that a relatively new poster actually takes the time to do a thorough clean of not only the fans, but the heatsink. Most times it's a 'I blew it out' clean only, and as you found out, after years of that, it gets clogged nevertheless.

Good job on the fix, did everything right the first time.

Aug 10, 2020
Finally! Lol. It's rare that a relatively new poster actually takes the time to do a thorough clean of not only the fans, but the heatsink. Most times it's a 'I blew it out' clean only, and as you found out, after years of that, it gets clogged nevertheless.

Good job on the fix, did everything right the first time.

It's amazing how much crap there was in there, AND how much just cleaning it thoroughly helped.