Upgrading the current rig

veyvey

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

I was thinking to upgrade my gear , here and there, to make it ready for 2018 new games .
Now, I built my PC in November 2016 and really got some fantastic BF deals for my components , so if you are wondering why I choose some of them, well, that's the answer, a great balance price/performance .Anyway, my rig looks like this :
MB : MSI B150M PRO-VDH
CPU : Core i5 6400 ( yes, I know, lowest i5 from skylake series :) )
GPU : GTX 1060 3GB from Gigabyte
RAM : 2 x 8GB Corsair LPX @ 2400 MHZ
SSD : Intel 540s 240 GB
HDD : Segate Baracuda 2TB 64 Mb cache
PSU : Seasonic M12 II 520W
Optical unit : LG BDRW ( who cares :) ? )
If you were to upgrade something for 2018, what would it be ? Currently the rig is doing just fine with 1080p with max details , but next year might be more and more intensive from technical perspective .I am not rally a gamer, but when I do play, I want to get the best experience, since my time is highly limited .
Thank you very much for your answers, have a nice Xmas and a perfect new year !

Solution
If you are hesitant to upgrade to the 7700, then a new build from scratch (maybe reuse storage and ram) is the only option I think.
Hold on for a few more months and decide when Nvidia Volta, ryzen refresh releases.
If you are playing at 60Hz, ur 6400 may give a few stuttering cuz of fps drop in intense scenes. The max you can go with that mobo would be a 7700 cpu. For maxing out eye candy, 3gb vram won't cut it. U need min 4gb for the latest AAA games. That will increase with future AAA games. So if you r OK with medium-high settings, the 1060 3gb is still fine.

veyvey

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Well, I was thinking to sell my GPU for a reasonable price, but I would still need to add like 50% of it's sales value to get a 6GB 1060 for example ( doesn't seem to worth it ) ...or I could settle for an RX 580 8GB , but I know that it drains a lot and runs quite hot . As for CPU, well, now with the Coffe lake on the spotlight, skylake and kabylake does not seem to be so attractive anymore...only issue with 8th gen is the mobo, few models and somehow expensive.