Upgrading the graphic card on my HP Pavilion 500-366na

njoeblair

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Hi there, I've got a HP Pavilion 500-366na with Intel Core i5, 6GB RAM, 2TB.
It's got the Intel HD 4600 Graphics Card which it came with.
It's struggling on quite a few games where I'm getting dropping frame rate issues. These aren't even top end games. The graphics themselves are ok.

Could anyone advise on what I need to do to get this sorted?
What would be a good replacement graphics card?
My graphics card is currently shared, do I need a dedicated card type?

I would really appreciate any help,

Thanks

The MB has the pcie3.0X16, and the PC has the i5, you can buy any GPU but the PC has the 180W PSU, so you need buy the new GPU and PSU.
1) Find the games review like this http://www.techspot.com/review/917-far-cry-4-benchmarks/ and we recommend the GPU will have about 40fps for the game.
2) Open the case to make the measurement for the GPU you like. http://cdn.overclock.net/e/ee/500x1000px-LL-ee575342_P1010034.jpeg and you can find the GPU dimensions from the manufacturer website.
3) PSU requirement for the GPU. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

poppy48

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

poppy48

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You have an i5-4460s with a CPU Mark score of 6388 which puts it solidly in the middle of the page of highest Performance processors. You should consider an AMD R7 250 or below or Nvidia GTX750 or GTX750 Ti or below.Any of these cards will do nicely. The most expensive (GTX 750 Ti) is an excellent card and requires no supplementary power from the power supply. You have an unoccupied PCI-e (3.0) 1X 16 slot for the video card to go into. The graphics that are on board your CPU will continue to help with the graphics processing. The problem is the external 180W power supply is not able to provide more power directly to the video card other than what comes from the PCI-e (3.0) 1X16 slot which is 60 watts. You should give a call to Hewlett Packard Technical Support and see what they advise you can do. At medium (1280X720 resolution) game play, the above graphics cards will do a great job. You can't use one that requires auxiliary power other than what it can get from the PCI-e slot based upon what I can read about your configuration at HP. Time to call HP beyond this. For full motion video from a Blue Ray disc, there is little to no processing needed and those graphics cards will reproduce glorious video at 1920X1080 with little effort. On the bright side, its a very good CPU and with a card in the $75-100 range, you can more than accomplish great fun without video issues. The GTX70Ti is expensive but thanks to that, there is an abundance of less capable cards around for a lot less dollars and there is nothing wrong with them for casual gaming at medium resolutions.

njoeblair

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Hi everyone,
OK, I've now got a new problem.
I bought a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti and installed it into my HP Pavilion 500-366na.
This seemed to go ok.
I didn't think I needed to use the external PSU connectors as the advice I had was that I wouldn't need them.
However, If I'm honest, I couldn't see where I could connect them to (the 6 pin connector went into the card ok but I couldn't see anywhere on the motherboard or elsewhere to connect).
Anyway, I powered up and got the message 'please power down and connect the pcie power cables'
So, having searched around I have a few questions;
Is my problem that my power supply is insufficient? (Total wattage: 180 W external power adapter (100V-240V))
if it is, what do I need to replace it with? recommendations really appreciated.
OR
Do I need to connect the 2 pcie cables that come off of my 6 pin connector to something, if so what?|
any help really appreciated, I don't mind buying a new power supply if that is going to solve my problem.
Currently I have uninstalled my new card and everything is working ok, at present I have an integrated graphics card, so I haven't uninstalled anything or changed anything on my BIOS.
Thanks in advance for any help