Question Upgrading the PSU on an old system, need help deciding on a model.

Zacckron

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I have this old rig that I want to upgrade, and I'm planning on getting an RX 570 4GB for it. I read in the requirements for the GPU that it needed a power supply with a minimum wattage of 450w. Now I've also read that the amperage on the 12V line matters most, so all that considered, what would be my best option? I tried going through all the suggested brands but there are so many that honestly, as someone who's new to building/upgrading a PC I cannot choose which one to buy.

I'm also kinda on a budget as I plan to upgrade the RAM too, so I don't need anything more than what is required for the GPU. Processor is an i3 which I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon so I don't think that'll matter much.

Another question, are all PSUs the same size? I really need to know if it'll fit in my case (it's an old standard case from 2013 or something, the PC was bought, not built, I can take a photo if required) and not have to return it just because of some small size problems.

Lastly, do the cables required for connecting the PSU to various parts of the rig come along with the power supply or do I have to buy them separately?

Let me know if any more information is needed, thanks for the help!

Most PSUs fall under the ATX standard but there are some that are SFX, these are designed for small cases and builds but you can buy an adapter that will make them work in a normal ATX case.

The 12V rail is the most important for a GPU as thats where it will draw most of its power. If you are on a budget can you list it here along with your systems other specs? Also do you know the model of the system you bought? Is it a Dell, HP or other brand?

As for the requirements, while they have a recommended wattage the best thing to do is go above that. The main reason why is a PSU is most efficient at 50% load.

Zacckron

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
Most PSUs fall under the ATX standard but there are some that are SFX, these are designed for small cases and builds but you can buy an adapter that will make them work in a normal ATX case.

The 12V rail is the most important for a GPU as thats where it will draw most of its power. If you are on a budget can you list it here along with your systems other specs? Also do you know the model of the system you bought? Is it a Dell, HP or other brand?

As for the requirements, while they have a recommended wattage the best thing to do is go above that. The main reason why is a PSU is most efficient at 50% load.

Found this picture on the internet of what my case looks like

My current processor is an i3-2120, motherboard is an old IPMSB-H61, 8 gigs of 1333MHz RAM and an HDD. PC is made by a company named HCL.

This link shows most of the specs, other than the RAM which I've upgraded.

Also, my current PSU is only 200w, with 14A on the +12V line, if it matters.

Zacckron

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

Forgot to mention that when I said budget, I meant that I'm looking for only the minimum required PSU for my specs and GPU (RX 570 4GB). I've looked at a few 450w and 500w PSUs but just came here for an opinion on which would be the best.

TRENDING THREADS