Upgrading the SSD on an HP Stream Mini 200-010 and how to re-load Windows 8.1w/Bing on new ssd?

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Long time since I"ve needed to get on here and ask a question. However, a week or so ago I purchased an HP Stream Mini PC 200-010 since I had a coupon and free shipping and all that good stuff and scored it for a good price. I'm very impressed with this little machine. Loaded MS Office, Anti-Virus, and a few others as this is replacing an old Pavillion PC with Windows 7 as a home internet surfing/work/school/ desktop PC, and the stock 32 GB SSD is almost nearing its max.

I upgraded the stock 2 GB of Ram to 6GB, and bought a 64gb Sandisk microSD (SDHC/SDXC) card to plug on the side of it for saving files, pictures, etc, but I really want to just replace the tiny M.2 SSD drive it came with. I saw a 128gb ZTC brand M.2 SSD that others have bought and replaced on these HP Stream Mini's, but my main question before buying the new SSD is:

How do I get the Operation Software loaded onto the new/bigger SSD drive? I'm not computer savvy when it comes to partiioning and backing up and all that - hence my question to all of you.

How would I be able to make some kind of cd or save on a flash drive and re-install what came from the manufacturer? I read somewhere I can contact Microsoft directly and have them give me a new key or license or something and be able to re-install windows and configure everything I have now.

How would I be able to boot from a CD since I do not have an external CD-drive.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I just want to know how "complex" this is to reinstall everything, just upgrade the SSD.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, criticism (good or bad) is greatly appreciated.

V/R,

Militarydave

Solution
you could just use cloning software or Migration software. these two option will save you the time of reinstalling everything.

TRENDING THREADS