Question Upgrading the storage on Surface Pro 7

Apr 28, 2020
I purchased a used Surface Pro 7 with a cracked digitizer. The digitizer is currently still working, however I expect I will eventually need to replace it. I figure I might as well try to source the type of storage device used in the 7th Gen Surface Pro since it will likely be the only opportunity to replace anything internal, unless of course another accident were to happen.

This model has a 10th gen i7-1065G7 with 16GB DDR4 Ram but only a paltry 256gb's of storage. Does anyone know the model number or type of nand used in these machines? The only bit of info I have found came from an Ifixit Teardown showing the nand, looks like an SK Hynix but I cant make out the model number. I presume I would need to find the exact model or at least a comparable type of nand and upgrade the firmware before soldering it in place.

I know not many people would have upgraded the SP7 storage since technically all devices are still under warranty at this point in time, however I'm not willing to cough up $600 to replace the whole unit when I can replace the digitizer for $30 plus labor.

Apr 28, 2020
Probably would not need to upgrade the firmware but i would bet money that the SSD is a one-off; meaning that it's using a proprietary pinout and you won't find the chip outside of microsoft channels for quite a while.

Well that doesn't sound good at all. I figured it would probably be using pcie, i guess I was hoping it would since I've got a bunch of spare 512gb's on hand and wanted to make use of one.