[SOLVED] Upgrading this ol' girl ?

Mar 29, 2020
Hello, I have this pre-built dinosaur and I've been wondering if it's possible to upgrade my lenovo desktop?

I just want more fps so I can play basic title games with a bit more fps, (minecraft, warframe, gta-5) nothing too fancy I'm balling on a budget so at most I can probably afford a new GPU (if even possible) and a few extra parts..

Any help is appreciated greatly.
The desktop is
710-25ISH Desktop (ideacentre) - Type 90FB

Hello, I have this pre-built dinosaur and I've been wondering if it's possible to upgrade my lenovo desktop?

I just want more fps so I can play basic title games with a bit more fps, (minecraft, warframe, gta-5) nothing too fancy I'm balling on a budget so at most I can probably afford a new GPU (if even possible) and a few extra parts..

Any help is appreciated greatly.
The desktop is
710-25ISH Desktop (ideacentre) - Type 90FB
The best GPU that came with that was a GTX 960. The problem is we don't know what PSU you have, but since you have the GT 730 and the i5 my guess is the 250W PSU. At that point you are going to be so limited on your PSU that it will be very hard to upgrade.

Reactions: razersnek
Mar 29, 2020
Looks like a standard size PSU, but with a proprietary cable. The first review lists where you can buy an adapter cable.

"Overall Review: I had the same problem as literally everyone else in these reviews. PC started shutting off randomly a few months in. I'd be able to use it for a few hours until it shut down. After a while, it'd only work for a few minutes before calling it quits. Here's the problem: the PSU Lenovo puts into this PC sucks (low quality 'FSP Group' PSU) and if you try to switch it out, you realize that their connectors aren't standard. The solution for that is to buy a standard PSU, whichever you like, and then buy this adapter cable for it: https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM...4%2dPin-to-10%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html
I got the Corsair CX650M PSU and that adapter cable and my PC has been working like a dream. The PSU I mentioned was $60 at Micro Center ($40 after rebate) and the adapter cable was $14 (+ $6 shipping). You're not going to need a PSU with this wattage if you're just using it for office work or as a lightweight gamer, so feel free to get a less expensive PSU. Otherwise, the extra expenses you need to fix this PC round up to about $60 total, which is def not much.
I say take the chance with this PC. The PSU upgrade is nothing. "

Looks like a standard size PSU, but with a proprietary cable. The first review lists where you can buy an adapter cable.

"Overall Review: I had the same problem as literally everyone else in these reviews. PC started shutting off randomly a few months in. I'd be able to use it for a few hours until it shut down. After a while, it'd only work for a few minutes before calling it quits. Here's the problem: the PSU Lenovo puts into this PC sucks (low quality 'FSP Group' PSU) and if you try to switch it out, you realize that their connectors aren't standard. The solution for that is to buy a standard PSU, whichever you like, and then buy this adapter cable for it: https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-10%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html
I got the Corsair CX650M PSU and that adapter cable and my PC has been working like a dream. The PSU I mentioned was $60 at Micro Center ($40 after rebate) and the adapter cable was $14 (+ $6 shipping). You're not going to need a PSU with this wattage if you're just using it for office work or as a lightweight gamer, so feel free to get a less expensive PSU. Otherwise, the extra expenses you need to fix this PC round up to about $60 total, which is def not much.
I say take the chance with this PC. The PSU upgrade is nothing. "
Since you already have a PSU that will work with it, then it is worth getting a new GPU. I would also say that you should get an SSD.

Mar 29, 2020
I checked the sticker and yeah it says

Huntkey HK350-12PP Server - Power Supply 250W, HK350-12PP, 54Y8934, SP50A36170

So with this PSU I should be able to upgrade my GPU to GTX960 ?
and if I got the adapter and upgraded the PSU i can get a GTX 1660 ?

Also upgrading SSD, I have no clue what I should get, am I limited to a certain SSD or..?

Mar 29, 2020
Also upgrading SSD, I have no clue what I should get, am I limited to a certain SSD or..?
Don't see an M2 slot so any SATA SSD will do. I stick with Samsung, their cloning software is free and easy to use. You'll probably also need a 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter bracket.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674?reviews=all

WD / Sandisk are a little cheaper, that's what I have in my desktop. Only issue I had was the Acronis cloning software couldn't see my SSD when attached by USB. Not a big deal for a desktop where you have extra SATA ports. No good if you're upgrading a laptop.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020
Thank you guys so much, I have learned a lot today and thankfully now, I don't have to dish out a ton of money for a new PC, I can upgrade this one.
One final question popped up, do you think it's possible to add more RAM to this PC?
I can see 2 green and 2 blue strips where the ram sticks are, the 2 blue ones are taken, but the green slots are empty?

I checked the sticker and yeah it says

Huntkey HK350-12PP Server - Power Supply 250W, HK350-12PP, 54Y8934, SP50A36170

So with this PSU I should be able to upgrade my GPU to GTX960 ?
and if I got the adapter and upgraded the PSU i can get a GTX 1660 ?

No that PSU won't be able to handle a different GPU. I mistook the previous response saying they had a CX650 as your post.