[SOLVED] Upgrading time!

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all,

I've recently received a university grant which allows me to purchase some upgrades for my prebuilt system.

The system is about a year and a half old and recently I've noticed it beginning to slow down as I've used it more and more, which has helped me to decide to upgrade.

I thought a sensible idea would be to list the components and then give an idea of what I'd like to upgrade and see what your thoughts were on the matter.

----------------------------------------------------
So...
Case: Phanteks P400 Midi Tower case
GPU: Zotec Geforce GTX 1060 Mini 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Memory: Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Motherboard: Asus Prime B360-plus Intel B360 DDR4 ATX Motherboard (Socket 1151)
PSU: 500W Kolink KL-500
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 2.6Ghz LGA 1151
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD
---------------------------------------------------

So, I wanted to upgrade the RAM first of all to 16GB, potentially using the "Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz" for the new memory.
I should also point out that my HDD is my only storage drive and I recently realised how important it would be to backup my data to another one should the original fair, so I was hoping to find some advice on the subject and potentially purchase a new one, or two potentially as it has begun to reach capacity. Thoughts?

I have also read reviews only about purchasing an SDD and moving my OS to it. Is that a viable idea?

I should also point out my budget is £1500 but I'd prefer not to use it all as I require a new keyboard and desk chair which supports the lower back.

Cheers,
OneCanVanBam

Solution
The computer will not run slower as you use it, the components are the same speed. What is likely it's running software in the background that is loaded but may not be needed.

I would get an SSD, 500gb would be good, that motherboard looks to need a SATA one. Get an external drive for your backups and use the existing platter disk as secondary storage. Clean Windows setup on the SSD will clear up your slowness issues.

Rest does not need to be touched, although you did not say what the system is used for which would determine how fast it should ideally be. Hard to suggest upgrades without knowing what is being run on it.

Maybe a good idea to replace that power supply, those regional brands tend to be on the lower quality tiers.
Hi, you cannot move your OS in that way

A win 10 license is tied to your mobo, open cmd and type

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

this should provide you with your win 10 key, do a fresh install

I cant give you advice on your system, but knowing this site, someone should be around shortly :)

The computer will not run slower as you use it, the components are the same speed. What is likely it's running software in the background that is loaded but may not be needed.

I would get an SSD, 500gb would be good, that motherboard looks to need a SATA one. Get an external drive for your backups and use the existing platter disk as secondary storage. Clean Windows setup on the SSD will clear up your slowness issues.

Rest does not need to be touched, although you did not say what the system is used for which would determine how fast it should ideally be. Hard to suggest upgrades without knowing what is being run on it.

Maybe a good idea to replace that power supply, those regional brands tend to be on the lower quality tiers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS