[SOLVED] upgrading to 3900x - use provided air cooler? or my Master Liquid 240 AIO?

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
so, right now I have a crosshair vi hero x370 MB and ryzen 7 1800x cpu and I'm using a cooler master master liquid 240 AIO and I get great Temps, I looked at this page https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/all-coolers-ready-for-thrid-generation-amd-ryzen3000-cpus/ and it shows that the cooler is still compatible but not the recommeded, which is their NEWER versions with RGB, of course LOL
but, I guess my question is, i'm upgraded TO an Asus tuff gaming +Plus X570 and ryzen 9 3900x
we all know it comes with the Wraith cooler, and from alot of videos I have been watching it seems like the provided cooler is great, i'm just wondering if I should use my Master Liquid 240 AIO or if I should stick with the default cooler that comes with the 3900x

I SHOULD mention that the 2 120MM fans that come with the master liquid I have swapped out for 2 Noctua fans.. which made it even quieter and lowered temps a bit more on the 1800x.
I was thinking, if I do go with the cooler that comes with the 3900x I could take the Noctua fans that is on my AIO and put them at the top blowing air out which should help some if I go with the wraith

Solution
It depends on if your going to OC the 3900x or not, the stock cooler is fine for base settings but even a 240mm AIO won't get much further. I have read that OC'ing the upper end Ryzens brings little tangible benefit other than upping benchmark test scores.

What will you be doing with the PC ? more work or gaming.

Heat rises so the top fans should blow out, cool air from below /front, hot air out the back/top.
dK0TM9C.png

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I should ALSO point out, something I just thought about, I purchased the AIO in 2017, I looked and their warranty is 2 years.. it's got to be getting close to the end of it's life cycle, I leave my computer on 24-7
if I decide to go with the wraith air cooler, right no I have the AIO at the top.. of course I'll remove it, and then should I point the fans to blow out? on the top? or in? the case that I have is
https://www.newegg.com/white-phante...-tower/p/N82E16811854005?Item=N82E16811854005

It depends on if your going to OC the 3900x or not, the stock cooler is fine for base settings but even a 240mm AIO won't get much further. I have read that OC'ing the upper end Ryzens brings little tangible benefit other than upping benchmark test scores.

Heat rises so the top fans should blow out, cool air from below /front, hot air out the back/top.
dK0TM9C.png

Reactions: TRE IzDOPE
Solution

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

dK0TM9C.png
90% will be gaming, actually just browsing most of the time, but when the cpu will be pushed will be gaming, and a little bit of rendering videos using sony vegas for my youtube channel. I honestly don't expect to OC it anytime soon, I will 100% get a better fan for doing that down the road, was looking at the noctua fan that was used in the linus tech tips video when he discussed air coolers vs water coolers.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf