[SOLVED] Upgrading to 48GB RAM?

Blinkshot

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hey all,

Currently I have 16 GB RAM installed in my system. I have two more slots available for expanded RAM slots and am noticing how cheap I can get two 16GB cards now adays. I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to have two 8 GB chips and two 16GB chips? Is it possible there will be compatibility issues with my motherboard?

They both are 288 PIN so I cant imagine they're incompatible, just looking for confirmation.

Current RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB

RAM I am looking at: NewEgg

Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X (MS-7A11)

Solution
Hey all,

Currently I have 16 GB RAM installed in my system. I have two more slots available for expanded RAM slots and am noticing how cheap I can get two 16GB cards now adays. I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to have two 8 GB chips and two 16GB chips? Is it possible there will be compatibility issues with my motherboard?

They both are 288 PIN so I cant imagine they're incompatible, just looking for confirmation.

Since the motherboard QVL only supports 2 of those existing sticks and not 4, I would be a bit surprised if adding two 16GB sticks would work easily...

RealBeast

Titan
Hey all,

Since the motherboard QVL only supports 2 of those existing sticks and not 4, I would be a bit surprised if adding two 16GB sticks would work easily. I suggest that you contact Corsair support by email or chat and have all your hardware model information available.

Reactions: Blinkshot
Solution

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
You are not only mixing models of RAM, you are mixing speeds and latencies.
I have just experienced that mixing RAM of the same model, speed and latency can be problematic due to the fact thay they may not be the same "underneath" e.g one pair was Samsung B Die and the other pair were Micron E Die.

Not sure you would get any benefit without serious issues.

Reactions: Blinkshot

Blinkshot

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Is my current RAM considered lower end for how PC's operate today? Can someone explain the differences between these chips vs a newer chip? I could just buy two more chips of the same exact model and get 32GB RAM for even cheaper. I am just wondering if I am going to be kicking myself later down the road if I do that.

It sounds like my motherboard might need an upgrade soon

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Is my current RAM considered lower end for how PC's operate today? Can someone explain the differences between these chips vs a newer chip? I could just buy two more chips of the same exact model and get 32GB RAM for even cheaper. I am just wondering if I am going to be kicking myself later down the road if I do that.

Not really, you are probably at the upper end of speed for older Intel platforms. You won't notice a huge difference between 3000 c15 and 3200 c16 IMO.

I would probably wait until the time comes to upgrade the CPU/Mobo before worrying about the RAM.

You're missing the point.
Corsair don't manufacture the actual ram chips, they buy from other manufacturers, then produce the boards and the heatsinks.

Just because it says corsair vengeance on the packet/heatsink you shouldn't assume its exactly the same ram underneath.

It could be any of the big 3 - micron, hynix, samsung.

Also running 2 x 8gb and 2 x 16gb chips you'd want to be running 24gb in each channel in which cae you have even more chance of it not playing nicely.

What uses do you have for your pc exactly?
16gb is more than enough for the general user.

Blinkshot

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Since the motherboard QVL only supports 2 of those existing sticks and not 4, I would be a bit surprised if adding two 16GB sticks would work easily. I suggest that you contact Corsair support by email or chat and have all your hardware model information available.
You're missing the point.
Corsair don't manufacture the actual ram chips, they buy from other manufacturers, then produce the boards and the heatsinks.

Just because it says corsair vengeance on the packet/heatsink you shouldn't assume its exactly the same ram underneath.

It could be any of the big 3 - micron, hynix, samsung.

Also running 2 x 8gb and 2 x 16gb chips you'd want to be running 24gb in each channel in which cae you have even more chance of it not playing nicely.

What uses do you have for your pc exactly?
16gb is more than enough for the general user.

I run three monitors, two 1980x1080 my primary 2560x 1440. I run a stock trading platform over 10 hours a day that takes up between 2-6 GB RAM depending on allocation, a Virtual Machine for work, run videos games (lets say Apex Legends for this example), as well as stream and a few google chrome browsers. While streaming I do not have my virtual machine running, and occasionally close my stock trading platform.
The main thing that caused this initial research is noticing my RAM allocation is hitting between 30-50% while doing very little.
Currently am running just 3 google chrome tabs and my RAM utilization is at 25%. Utilization jumps to 40%-50% when I have my stock trading platforms running and about 50%-60% when running games. I have not checked what it clocks at when streaming, but I know I should be having at least 8GB available for streaming, which is pushing it if im reaching 50% utilization so quickly. Thoughts?

I run three monitors, two 1980x1080 my primary 2560x 1440. I run a stock trading platform over 10 hours a day that takes up between 2-6 GB RAM depending on allocation, a Virtual Machine for work, run videos games (lets say Apex Legends for this example), as well as stream and a few google chrome browsers. While streaming I do not have my virtual machine running, and occasionally close my stock trading platform.
The main thing that caused this initial research is noticing my RAM allocation is hitting between 30-50% while doing very little.
Currently am running just 3 google chrome tabs and my RAM utilization is at 25%. Utilization jumps to 40%-50% when I have my stock trading platforms running and about 50%-60% when running games. I have not checked what it clocks at when streaming, but I know I should be having at least 8GB available for streaming, which is pushing it if im reaching 50% utilization so quickly. Thoughts?

Well it looks like you may have reason for more ram but really 32gb would be more than enough.

You'd be better buying a 2 x 16gb matching kit and simy straight removing the 2 x 8gb sticks you currently have.