Question Upgrading to 64gb ram, What to get?

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
Hello

I want to preface this with i know very little about computers and what i used to know has gotten very faded because i have had little use for it lately so i might say stupid things.

My pc currently has a G.skill 32GB DDR-3600 Kit in it so two sticks of 16gb. I am experiencing a lack of ram in some of the more intense things i do when a lot of programs are running at the same time so i want to upgrade.
I only vaguely remember a friend saying that i needed to look for CL14 ram which is something about the timings i think? The 32GB that is in the pc currently is 14-15-15-35 when i look it up.

My mother board is a Asus rog crosshair VIII Dark Hero for which i was told it's ideal to use two ram sticks rather than try to use four. I however can't find anything that's CL14 on the sites i used to use for pc parts so i don't know what ram i should get that would be the best upgrade to make.

I hope i'm not being too unclear but any questions to clarify will be answered asap.

My pc is:
Asus rog crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X processor
Nvidia Geoforce RTX 3080 GPU

Hello

I want to preface this with i know very little about computers and what i used to know has gotten very faded because i have had little use for it lately so i might say stupid things.

My pc currently has a G.skill 32GB DDR-3600 Kit in it so two sticks of 16gb. I am experiencing a lack of ram in some of the more intense things i do when a lot of programs are running at the same time so i want to upgrade.
I only vaguely remember a friend saying that i needed to look for CL14 ram which is something about the timings i think? The 32GB that is in the pc currently is 14-15-15-35 when i look it up.

My mother board is a Asus rog crosshair VIII Dark Hero for which i was told it's ideal to use two ram sticks rather than try to use four. I however can't find anything that's CL14 on the sites i used to use for pc parts so i don't know what ram i should get that would be the best upgrade to make.

I hope i'm not being too unclear but any questions to clarify will be answered asap.

My pc is:
Best bet, apart from getting whole new set of RAM, is to get same kit, any mixing of RAM can have unpredictable results. 3600MHz Cl 14 is very good performance wise, higher frequency also means higher CL so that result in diminishing gains. At the end, it's SW that depends either on frequency or latencies.
Zen3 is apparently very good with both IMC channels used.

Last edited:

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
Best bet, apart from getting whole new set of RAM, is to get same kit, any mixing of RAM can have unpredictable results. 3600MHz Cl 14 is very good performance wise, higher frequency also means higher CL so that result in diminishing gains. At the end, it's SW that depends either on frequency or latencies.
Zen3 is apparently very good with both IMC channels used.

I thought using four sticks of ram was a bad idea tho? If i got the same kit of two sticks of 16gb again then i'd have to use all four slots which a lot of people tell me is a very bad idea.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
Like i said i don't know much about pcs i only remember reading rants that if your motherboard is dual channel using four ram sticks will make things worse than if you just use two sticks with more ram. If that's not the case i can just get another set of the same ram yeah.

No idea what XMP is i'd have to look that up

Hello

My pc is:

Which sites did you use? Where are you located?

Full slots is no problem, however, naturally it is more difficult for the CPU internal memory controller to push more modules so when talking about maximum capability, it can lowered compared to two sticks.

As a result, there can be a lot of confusion and misunderstanding in between because some people don't know their system limitations. Simply because motherboard says DDR4-4000+, 128GB, does not mean it can do it all together.

For 64GB, the ideal DRAM Frequency will be around DDR4-3600, so if you can find a CL16 or lower kit that would be perfect.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator...Tested_Speed§3800 MT/s,Tested_Speed§4000 MT/s,

DSzymborski

Titan
Specifically, what is causing you to run out at 32GB?

Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. The things that might suffer at 32 GB of RAM, such as video editing, production work, mathematical modeling, certain workloads with relational databases, programming, virtual machines, servers, etc. seem to be the type of thing that would not typically be done by someone who says they don't know much about computers. If you're not doing these types of things, it might make more sense to try and solve the underlying issue rather than papering over it with more RAM.