Upgrading to a 6 monitor display

zachster104

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I currently have a 4 monitor display. I would like to do 6 monitors. I do not game but trade stocks and want more monitors to have more charts up at once. My current setup is below:

Video Card: 2 GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 650
8GB of Ram
600W Powersupply
i5 4670K

I will need to upgrade to two cards. Should I get SLI or Crossfire? What cards should I get that will keep me below $400? Also, will I need to upgrade anything else in my computer?

Thanks

Solution
As I stated - SLI has no point for just using 6 displays for things like CAD, etc.. (Surround does not support it that I know of either). You do not need to SLI to add another card - just need to have an available PCI-E slot on the motherboard, and the power to run it.

If you were gaming , then SLI could be needed - but you are doing this for display space, business - etc... so there is no need to SLI.

JayTeague

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
If you are upgrading just for display - not surround or gaming - then neither SLI or Crossfire are needed. They serve a purpose to improve rates to a single display or spanned display.
But, just adding monitors for stocks, etc - any second video card should work. I would in general recommend sticking with an Nvidia based one for a second card (just to avoid competing sets of drivers) - other than that, just connections for the monitors you want.

Another 650 or similar should more than work for you - and should be handled by your current power as a single system requirement is 400w, and only a 64w max card)

JayTeague

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
As I stated - SLI has no point for just using 6 displays for things like CAD, etc.. (Surround does not support it that I know of either). You do not need to SLI to add another card - just need to have an available PCI-E slot on the motherboard, and the power to run it.

If you were gaming , then SLI could be needed - but you are doing this for display space, business - etc... so there is no need to SLI.

Solution