Question Upgrading to a 750 watt PSU. I fear that I might damage other components. Help.

Apr 20, 2019
Hello.

I have a dell optiplex 7020 case and a 08wkv3 dell mainboard (according to cpu-z). I wanted to upgrade my psu to fit in my gtx 1050ti 4gb, but my mainboard has an 8 pin port for the psu, and my psu is a 24 pin connector. So I am planning to buy a 24 to an 8 pin adapter. However, I have heard that this might fry my mainboard because it will not be able to handle such electrical power. So, is it wiser to just buy the $12 adapter and risk it (if there is any risk), or should I buy a new mainboard that already has a 24 pin port and be safe. The only unapealing thing here is that I might have to go and buy a new case so it becomes compatible with my new mainboard, etc. My psu has a total of 750 watts and is a corsair cx 750m psu.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2019
Stock Dell PSU's are different! So maker and Watts is really what I was asking for.
Ok. I know dell has very low wattage psus and they do not make it easy to upgrade. That is why I want to know for sure. Can you tell me whether it is or is not safe? And if not can you calculate it?

Im adding a gpu tho. I was told that will require a 400/500 watt psu. And is it bad if i buy a overkill psu?
recommendations are always high actual load will be as I said 200-250watts. Here you can see full system load with GTX1060 which needs more, never reaching 300watts https://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/16
Hence my question about the dell PSU.
Bigger PSU does not harm anything and is totally safe to use.

Apr 20, 2019
recommendations are always high actual load will be as I said 200-250watts. Here you can see full system load with GTX1060 which needs more, never reaching 300watts https://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/16
Hence my question about the dell PSU.
Bigger PSU does not harm anything and is totally safe to use.
So to recap, using a 24 to 8 pin adapter is TOTALLY safe. I am using an onverkill 750w psu because i got it from a friend. So there is no way I destroy my pc if i connect everything correctly and add the gpu correctly?