Question Upgrading to a better graphics card ?

Oct 22, 2023
I'm looking to upgrade my current graphics card (specs below). In my search, I've learned how the graphics card is important in selecting a compatible upgrade. So I thought I'd ask for some help.

I would like to play at better than 1080p with better graphics. I'm not looking to play on ultra, but if graphics could be mid-high or more with good fps, that would be nice

Motherboard - ASUS Prime B450m-a ii

PSU - EVGA 500w

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (x2)

GPU - MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

Power supply: Evga 500w @40°c
AC output: 100-240VAC, 8/4A, 50-60Hz

Here is a picture if this helps
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jfc9wfiwCc1N9kkB7.
That's an EVGA N1 or W1. Both are junk group regulated units. You have to replace it before upgrading the GPU.

Worst case - transient power spikes could trip PSU protections and system would just shut down.
That's the problem with those EVGA units. No proper working protections for the N1 and a bridge rectifier design flaw for the W1.

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker
What kinds of games do you play?
I see some potential issues:

1) Is your 2700 strong enough?
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

2) do you already own a monitor capable of >1080P?

3) 4060 would be a significant graphics boost.
A lesser upgrade may be disappointing if you do not see magical results.
But, your 500w psu may not be sufficient. Note that the specs say 500w @40c. Inside a case, your temperatures will be much higher, 50c. and more.
You may be looking at upgrading your psu.
Since you now have nvidia gpu,I suggest you stick with nvidia. The radeon infrastructure is a bit different.

4) 8gb ram is insufficient these days.
And, simply adding 8gb may not work properly.

Sorry, I have no good answers for you.

As has already been said if you want to buy a new GPU from the last couple of generations a new PSU is certainly in order. You could potentially get away with something like an RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti/Super, but they're old enough I doubt you could get a good board design at a reasonable price and I wouldn't trust used with your PSU.

So really just replace PSU first and then get a GPU and with current pricing from what I'm seeing at pc part picker UK will likely be around £100 for PSU and GPU around £250 for nvidia (AMD RX 6600 should be under £200).

Reactions: Shaun123
Oct 22, 2023
As has already been said if you want to buy a new GPU from the last couple of generations a new PSU is certainly in order. You could potentially get away with something like an RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti/Super, but they're old enough I doubt you could get a good board design at a reasonable price and I wouldn't trust used with your PSU.

So really just replace PSU first and then get a GPU and with current pricing from what I'm seeing at pc part picker UK will likely be around £100 for PSU and GPU around £250 for nvidia (AMD RX 6600 should be under £200).
What PSU would you recommend, or would work best?

What PSU would you recommend, or would work best?
I haven't bought anything in the low power end for too long to be particularly helpful here. Someone else might have some specific ideas for you, but brands wise I tend to stick with EVGA (though their business may be winding down) and Seasonic though any of the name brands will have some models that are worth buying generally.

This list is pretty good just stay away from multirail and stick to A/B tier (make sure you read any notes they show):

Latest posts