[SOLVED] Upgrading to a i7 7800X from a i7 6700k. Need Guidance. (Gaming + Streaming)

Sep 13, 2018
Hey Guys,

Been having this setup for some time now, pretty pleased overall. My CPU pretty much lets me down when I stream and play on 1 PC setup due to 4C/8T limitation.

CPU - i7 6700k @ 4.5 Ghz @ 1.262 V
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC
Mobo - Asus Z270-K
RAM - 16 GB DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz
Cooler - EVGA CLC 240 mm

I've got a 240 Hz monitor currently so I'd like to maintain my FPS higher than that. When I'm only gaming, there's obviously no issue with keeping up my FPS that high (I only stream CSGO).

My CSGO Settings - Everything on low, 4:3 with 1280x960 res.

Encoding with my CPU drops my FPS tremendously on Streamlabs OBS (Very Fast Preset, 720p 60 fps). My fps is around 100-130 when I stream and play at the same time.

Please let me know if I've missed out any details, here are my following questions (Might be offtopic)

1. I'm thinking of trading my CPU + Mobo for an i7 7800X and Asus TUF X299 Mark 2 (This is 2nd hand trading btw). I'm thinking the extra cores would probably benefit me a lot to reduce some stress of my CPU although the core speed on the i7 7800X is lower than the i7 6700K from what I've researched, as well as the OC potential and the TDP.

Is this a good deal for me to consider? How will the i7 7800X act up on games and what benefits will I have compared to the i7 6700k? How good is the OC potential? Im pretty obsessed with OCing my chip and this TDP is already pretty damn high so I might even have to change my PSU (Corsair 550W PSU)

2. I've tried NVENC streaming and for some reason it stutters my game a lot in CSGO, as if I've got like 40-50 fps. Running at 720p 60 fps at 6k Bitrate. I would assume this GPU should be able to encode this considering my GPU usage is only around 20% in CSGO. Any recommendations on this? Anything I should change? Can't give you any more information ont he top of my head since I"m currently at work.

Sorry for the long post, waiting for replies or open to discussions!

Solution
I don't know how much of a loss there will be. Most people are running 7800x to play CSGO. I don't think that it would be much though. While the 6700k is a better gamer, the 7800x is not going to be that far behind except for costing more. Especially if you get a decent overclock.

What is your framerate with your rig now? If you are getting 300+ fps now, then moving to a 7800x wont go below 240. There wont be that type of performance. Any framerates over 240 wont matter since your monitor is only capable of running at 240hz.
Dont get a 7800x. With the release of the 9900k, it really makes the 7800x a really bad buy. The 9900k will give your the best of both worlds. It will give you the highest possible fps while providing enough threads to stream like a champ. For me, I would go with the 2700x just becuase it is so much cheaper, but if you want the best and dont have a problem spending the money, then the 9900k is a great buy.

Sep 13, 2018

Hey bud, thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately I dont have the money to completely change my whole setup in cash, I'm mainly looking to trade my setup and this is what I found so far, if you could give me some feedback based on this fact, would be awesome.

Thanks again!

Okay if it is a trade up then that is not too bad as the 6 cores of the 7800x will help especially on the streaming side...In terms of overclocking 4.7 to 4.8GHz is reachable and I have seen fairly low vcore's of around 1.29v at that overclock, it is fair and not quiet at the level of 8700K etc. but still not bad...Yes you won't get the same frames but still not too far off...

Sep 13, 2018

Well I'd still have to maintain above 240 FPS for my monitor, even though I dont have any screen tearing below it, its a very noticable different running a 240 Hz monitor at around 100-120 fps, doesn't have G-sync.

Perhaps keeping my current setup and trying to stream with my GPU through NVENC? I just want to be able to stream and game on 1 PC setup, don't want to invest in another setup which doesn't even sound that expensive since I'd prolly run a R5 1600x

Okay I now see what you are saying as 240Hz and 240 FPS is going to be hard and probably hard for any CPU's where Streaming is also important...

With CSGO you may be able to keep those high frames. It is an older game and not too demanding. Running at 1280x960 really puts a lot of stress on the CPU though. When you drop in resolution the bottleneck moves further to the CPU. You could probably move up to 1080p and would not have any drops in fps with a 1080.

For a trade, the 6700 for the 7800x is not a bad deal. But they are different CPUs. The 6700 will game a little better, the 7800x will stream a good bit better. So it really depends on what is most important.

Sep 13, 2018

Alright I see, makes sense that downscaling resolution from the native one may put more usage on your CPU. However it's a personal preference to play lower res though. How much of an fps loss would it be with the 7800X? How much % difference is there in performance per core?

I don't know how much of a loss there will be. Most people are running 7800x to play CSGO. I don't think that it would be much though. While the 6700k is a better gamer, the 7800x is not going to be that far behind except for costing more. Especially if you get a decent overclock.

What is your framerate with your rig now? If you are getting 300+ fps now, then moving to a 7800x wont go below 240. There wont be that type of performance. Any framerates over 240 wont matter since your monitor is only capable of running at 240hz.

Solution