Upgrading to a much faster CPU, would increase fps?

raihan4

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,

I have the system as following:

AMD A6 3670k
Jetway FM1 motherboard
8gigs of RAM
MSI R7770 OC GPU
Corsair CX600 Modular

I'm planning to upgrade to I5 4570 and AsRock H81 mobo. I wonder if it will increase my fps in games (especially in 64-player Battlefield 4 maps). I don't need another CPU suggestions, i just want to know if it's worth it as i feel my CPU is a bit of bottleneck to my GPU. Thanks !

Solution
Yes.

However, people are reporting a "core parking" issue on all/most CPU's that apparently has been fixed with Windows 8.

So when you rebuild your PC you should investigate that as well if you have Windows 7.

Other:
BF4 is very demanding on the CPU. In particular, you should be looking at the LOW frame rates in Multiplayer benchmarks. Single player isn't as demanding, and Average FPS isn't the best judge because continuous LOW frame rates cause a lot of major stuttering.

I suggest you make sure the MOTHERBOARD has good reviews and quality.

You'll also need a new copy of Windows likely since you are changing the motherboard to a different SOCKET, so you should get Windows 8.1 64-bit (about $90) since it works better with BF4. (get...
Yes.

However, people are reporting a "core parking" issue on all/most CPU's that apparently has been fixed with Windows 8.

So when you rebuild your PC you should investigate that as well if you have Windows 7.

Other:
BF4 is very demanding on the CPU. In particular, you should be looking at the LOW frame rates in Multiplayer benchmarks. Single player isn't as demanding, and Average FPS isn't the best judge because continuous LOW frame rates cause a lot of major stuttering.

I suggest you make sure the MOTHERBOARD has good reviews and quality.

You'll also need a new copy of Windows likely since you are changing the motherboard to a different SOCKET, so you should get Windows 8.1 64-bit (about $90) since it works better with BF4. (get Start8 as well for Windows 8 and change the settings to disable the Charms Bar etc)

This is the cheapest motherboard I recommend:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah87d3h

Total Cost of Windows + Motherboard + CPU will be roughly $400.

Solution

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey raihan4,

I agree that Multiplayer is more CPU dependent but as you said you were planing on buying a new GPU soon too, I would rather buy the R9 280x now and upgrade the CPU/Mobo later.

In my opinion you would see much higher FPS increase with a new GPU than a better CPU.

raihan4

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well, in fact, i have windows 8.1 already, so i guess that wouldn't be a problem.

About the motherboard, i planned to get a cheap H81 because .. well.. that's what i need. I plan no overclocking at all, and i'm looking for "best performance, less money" possible. So i thought that an AsRock H81 would be enough for me. Please correct me if i made any mistake.

And about the GPU, i don't think that a cheap APU would cope well with a 280x. Besides, my current case is just some cheap-ass bad-looking case that i also plan to upgrade with the I5. (Forgot to state this in the OP, sorry)