Upgrading to a new CPU+Mobo without wiping my hard drive because of OEM?

Mortiskya

Reputable
May 31, 2014
So yet again I'm looking at upgrading my CPU because AMD is just no. I'm completely fine with the hardware but the problem is Windows, I'm currently using an OEM version of Windows 8.1 and from what I know OEM is tied to the motherboard so I'll probably have to buy a new copy since I'm switching out the Mobo.

I'll try to sum up the problem as easily and understandable as possible; I basically want to upgrade my CPU, Mobo and install windows (if I need to) yet have my pc boot into the desktop as if I changed nothing at all, however I don't know how to go about this since I've never upgraded windows or installed a fresh copy. I really need help about what I'm supposed to do to achieve this since I really don't want to have to re-install everything I have (would probably take me a year due to bandwidth restrictions)

I'm quite horrible at explaining things but hopefully someone understands since I don't want to go into this blind and mess everything up.

Thanks in advance,
Liam.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing you should do is make a clone of the drive to some form of storage media like a USB drive. Make a disk image so you can return the system to the way it was if you have problems. Btw, I believe the new Win8 license allows up to 3 installations of Win8 on new builds as long as there is no installation on any other machine at the same time. It's different than the Win7 license was.

But once you change the heart of the system, the motherboard, the chances of Win booting again from the original Win8 installation is pretty slim. Especially with a major change from AMD to Intel.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012
First of all windows 8.1 will allow you to validate you copy again if you Change Mobo's. I know I have done it twice on mine
with no problem. The word out is that this is ok with Microsoft. You just do not want to try and install it on two machines that would be non Kosher. What mobo and cpu are you going to and from what. If you are going from amd to Intel or visa
versa you need to do a full reinstall or you will encounter problems, suffice it to say.

Mortiskya

Reputable
May 31, 2014

How did you go about validating it? I bought my pc from a local custom pc builder shop and I remember receiving a custom system builder envelope thing but that went to the tip with all the other extra stuff since my girlfriend didn't realise how important everything was. If that disk and product key is required then I'm screwed.

Mortiskya

Reputable
May 31, 2014

I guess backing up my files is the only option. However couldn't I just add a second hard drive and install windows on that instead? From what I've seen windows only formats the drive you install it on, or I could buy an external hard drive and copy my program files to that then copy them back. I simply don't want to have to re-install all my games, game mods and programs the rest is expendable.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Yes you need a disc and key. You maybe can borrow a disc from a friend. The key is in your machine. before you mane a switch download and install Bel Arc Advisor. Once it load start at the top of the page an go down. You will eventually find a line that will say windows 8.1 and to it's right will be 5 sets of a combination of capital letters and numbers. That id your Key . Write down and save it in three different places.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

The disc image method has about a 99.9 % chance of failure, If you are going from amd to Intel or visa versa.

Solution

Mortiskya

Reputable
May 31, 2014
I took that sticker off ages ago and put it with the rest of my stuff, Belarc told me what it was which is really good since I wont have to buy windows again and I found a spare windows 8.1 disc from a different pc. Thanks for everything btw, I would've done so much wrong without you guys.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

My pleasure.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Don't forget to pick a best Solution.