[SOLVED] Upgrading to a new GPU gives no output

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
When trying with the new GPU there is black on the monitor, then the backlight comes on for a second with the label GPU, but then it reverts back to no signal, so I'm not able to access the BIOS unless I go back to the old card.
I'm going from an R9 280 to a GTX 1070Ti.
The PSU is a Corsair CX 500.
I know the GPU works (tested it on friend's build).
I know that the CPU/MOBO/PSU/RAM works because if I put the old card back in it boots and everything works (although I've uninstalled the graphics drivers with DDU in preparation for the new GPU).

Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk MSI
CPU: Ryzen R5 1500x
RAM: 8x2 Corsair Vengeance

Solution
You're definitely using uefi boot in the bios? Nothing you changed prior to getting something working? Some 280s had bios switch for legacy, is yours one of these models? Perhaps its been set to legacy and changed the motherboard's (if it has legacy boot) boot to legacy?

Farfetched thinking i know. Nvidia is usually pretty good with legacy and you updating bios would have reset back to uefi anyway unless changed it back. I'll have a proper look at the boards manual if it even does legacy.

Clearing cmos is the only other thing i can think of atm.

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I'm connecting with a HDMI to DVI cable (HDMI in the GPU, DVI in the monitor), same as I was doing with the old GPU.

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

From what I can tell the 1070 Ti draws less power than the Powercolour R9 280, well within the PSU limits. The R9 take a 4x2 and a 3x2, whereas the 1070 Ti just takes a 4x2.

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

My mistake, it's a 4x2. The GPU is a Gigabyte model and I edited my last comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Yeah. Power should not be an issue here. Just for reference:

3x2 is commonly known as a 6-pin PCIE Power
4x2 is commonly known as an 8-pin or 6+2pin PCIE Power

If I'm reading correctly, your power supply has two PCIE power cables. If they're both 8pin (6+2pin) connectors, then in theory, this should not make any difference at all, but try powering down and unplugging your system. Then switch the PCIE power cables and then power your system back up.

-Wolf sends

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

No change. I also applied a BIOS update but this was also to no effect.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should be no compatibility issues with the board.

1070Ti works in another machine but not yours. Your R9 works in yours so as far as everything else goes there shouldn't be a problem.

At this point (sorry lol) im thinking of really simple things overlooked.

Number 1. Being the video cable. Try a straight through DVI or Hdmi. Test with a TV if your monitor doesn't have Hdmi. Mainly to get away from adapter.

2. Seeing the Hdmi port on the graphics card is close to the case chassis, check the Hdmi cable is making good contact and not stopped by the case. It does happen.

3. Pcie slot. Possibly different dimensions between cards, check the 1070ti is being seated properly and nothing causing it to lift out.

---

Are there any debug codes lit up on the motherboard?

romaje

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

As far as I can tell, there aren't any debug indicators. As for the other solutions I've tried with a new PSU just now (no success), I've also now tried just a pure DVI connection - nothing. The graphics card is without a doubt seated correctly too.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're definitely using uefi boot in the bios? Nothing you changed prior to getting something working? Some 280s had bios switch for legacy, is yours one of these models? Perhaps its been set to legacy and changed the motherboard's (if it has legacy boot) boot to legacy?

Farfetched thinking i know. Nvidia is usually pretty good with legacy and you updating bios would have reset back to uefi anyway unless changed it back. I'll have a proper look at the boards manual if it even does legacy.

Clearing cmos is the only other thing i can think of atm.

Solution