Upgrading to a new motherboard help

G

hello. so I'm going to build my first PC based on broadwell-e chips. I saw that skylake-x will be based on LGA-2066 socket and I was wondering something. Lets say I get an asus deluxe ii and when the new skylake chips come out lets say I buy a new motherboard. What are some tips I need to know. How can I swap motherboards without any problems. Do I need to uninstall everything? how do I know what to uninstall.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If you tie the Windows 10 license to your Microsoft Account you can upgrade anything you want and you will be able to activate Windows.
I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte board and i5-2500K to an Asrock with an i7-6700K and had to do phone activation but it booted without any problems.

G

I want to be on the latest platform but I don't want to wait till the 2nd half of 2017. I know it seems a little crazy but I just love having the latest. Also money isn't a issue. This build isn't for gaming at all. I do a lot of GPU + CPU rendering and I just want to have the best possible.

I heard you half to uninstall everything before you upgrade. that's true right? Do I just uninstall the motherboard drivers? Also why would I need to do a fresh install of windows. I cant just keep everything the same and just reactivate windows after I switch?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If you tie the Windows 10 license to your Microsoft Account you can upgrade anything you want and you will be able to activate Windows.
I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte board and i5-2500K to an Asrock with an i7-6700K and had to do phone activation but it booted without any problems.

ASK THE COMMUNITY