[SOLVED] Upgrading to a rtx 3080

Snickeldümper

Prominent
Jun 5, 2019
Hello. I want to upgrade my current GPU to an rtx 3080, but am aware that parts of the rest of my build would also have to be upgraded, in order to avoid bottlenecking. I know that my CPU and PSU are both too weak, but I was wondering if there is something else that I would need to upgrade. Also, if you have suggestions for what CPU or PSU I should buy please let me know. I want to stay under £1200 total. This is my current build:

CPU- i5 6600k

GPU- Geforce GTX 1060 3gb

RAM- 16gb ram

BOARD- asus Z170-A

PSU - evga 100-w1-0500 500w

Thank you in advance!

Solution
For the CPU I'd definitely go with a new Zen 3 Ryzen 9. If you're getting a 3080 go with the 12 core 5900x, but if that's not in your price range the 8 core will also be a good choice. As you said the PSU will definitely be an issue especially if you're overclocking. For me I'd go with a 750-850w psu for that build, some would say you could probably get away with a 650, but I always like to have more than enough when it comes to PSUs. Evga, Corsair, and seasonic are all good choices for those. Apart from that, the only thing that could be leaving some performance on the table is the ram. Ryzen cpus tend to like fast ram, so if you're running anything under 3000mhz, an upgrade would be helpful. You should be able to get all of that for...

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
For the CPU I'd definitely go with a new Zen 3 Ryzen 9. If you're getting a 3080 go with the 12 core 5900x, but if that's not in your price range the 8 core will also be a good choice. As you said the PSU will definitely be an issue especially if you're overclocking. For me I'd go with a 750-850w psu for that build, some would say you could probably get away with a 650, but I always like to have more than enough when it comes to PSUs. Evga, Corsair, and seasonic are all good choices for those. Apart from that, the only thing that could be leaving some performance on the table is the ram. Ryzen cpus tend to like fast ram, so if you're running anything under 3000mhz, an upgrade would be helpful. You should be able to get all of that for around 1200 pounds or less if you get some good deals.

Solution

Snickeldümper

Prominent
Jun 5, 2019
For the CPU I'd definitely go with a new Zen 3 Ryzen 9. If you're getting a 3080 go with the 12 core 5900x, but if that's not in your price range the 8 core will also be a good choice. As you said the PSU will definitely be an issue especially if you're overclocking. For me I'd go with a 750-850w psu for that build, some would say you could probably get away with a 650, but I always like to have more than enough when it comes to PSUs. Evga, Corsair, and seasonic are all good choices for those. Apart from that, the only thing that could be leaving some performance on the table is the ram. Ryzen cpus tend to like fast ram, so if you're running anything under 3000mhz, an upgrade would be helpful. You should be able to get all of that for around 1200 pounds or less if you get some good deals.
Thank you for your response!