[SOLVED] Upgrading to a RXT 2070 Super, Which to get?

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I am upgrading from a gtx 1060 6gb to a rtx 2070 super, I don't know which variant such as asus strix variant or the gigabyte windforce version.
I am mostly upgrading for more fps on games so im looking for performance mostly.
If you could recommend a different variant which isn't mentioned then please do.

Budget £500 - £600

Specs:
Case - NZXT H500
CPU / Processor - I7 6700k
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
Power supply - cm650x
motherboard - Asrock z270 taichi
CPU cooler - Hyper 212x evo
ram - 2x4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 - CMK8GX4M2A2400C14
1x8 Hyper fury - HX424C15FB2/8

Solution
There are GPU model comparison articles out there which you can read to help you make your decision,
link: https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-cards/best-rtx-2070-super-card/

Few tips on choosing a GPU:
  • performance
  • aesthetics
  • brand
  • size
  • noise
  • price
* Performance
Not all RTX 2070S GPUs have same performance. Boost clocks vary between 1770 Mhz to 1935 Mhz and if you're all about performance, pick a GPU that is at the end (or near) of that list. However, difference in boost clock can have negligible difference in real word gaming. Meaning that even the lowest boost clock RTX 2070S can produce same FPS as highest boost clock GPU.
For me, that hasn't played a role on choosing a GPU but for some people, higher...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There are GPU model comparison articles out there which you can read to help you make your decision,
link: https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-cards/best-rtx-2070-super-card/

Few tips on choosing a GPU:
  • performance
  • aesthetics
  • brand
  • size
  • noise
  • price
* Performance
Not all RTX 2070S GPUs have same performance. Boost clocks vary between 1770 Mhz to 1935 Mhz and if you're all about performance, pick a GPU that is at the end (or near) of that list. However, difference in boost clock can have negligible difference in real word gaming. Meaning that even the lowest boost clock RTX 2070S can produce same FPS as highest boost clock GPU.
For me, that hasn't played a role on choosing a GPU but for some people, higher performance numbers on the box can give bragging rights or the very least, a peace of mind.

* Aesthetics
If you have a certain color theme going on inside your PC, you don't want to ruin your PC looks with mismatching GPU. E.g got white themed build? Choose a white shroud GPU. Most people do care overall looks of their PC and pick color matching components while some doesn't care about aesthetics at all. So, it's personal preference.
Since i have black & red theme with my PC, i picked black & red themed GPU to match the overall theme.

* Brand
Here, it's like above. Some people have brand preferences while others don't. E.g if you have Asus MoBo then getting Asus GPU gives you brand matching.
I have MSI MoBo in use and i also prefer MSI as a brand for my PCs. So, i picked a MSI GPU for my PC.

* Size
GPUs come in different sizes (mostly length) and here, it's your PC case that defines how long of a GPU fits in your PC case. Your NZXT H500 has GPU clearance up to 381mm, meaning that you have 0 restrictions on GPU size. Aesthetically, ATX MoBo is 244mm wide and GPUs of up to 250mm in length give a nice snug fit (where GPU is almost as long as MoBo is). Longer GPU will stick over the width of MoBo and can ruin the looks for some people.
The GPU i picked for my PC is 277mm long and while it does stick a bit over the width of MoBo, it isn't too much to annoy me.

* Noise
When it comes to the noise, most people like to have quiet PC. There are GPUs out there that have 0 RPM fan feature built-in. E.g many MSI GPUs have Zero Frozr feature where when GPU temp is below 60C, fans won't spin at all, making GPU noise output 0 dB(A).
Since i care a lot about noise and i like my PC to be quiet, i picked MSI GPU that has this nice Zero Frozr feature.

* Price
That is usually the main factor when choosing a GPU. E.g why pay $700 for RTX 2070S GPU while you can buy one at $500. Here, it comes down to all of the above points i explained. If you have the money and GPU ticks all the preference boxes then people are usually willing to pay more for a GPU that suits their needs the most.
I payed extra for my GPU for the sole reason that it had all what i needed. For the same money, i could've gone with one step better performing GPU, while messing up all other preferences i had.

So, here you have it. I think this explanation helps you to pick a best matching GPU for your PC.
Btw, my PC that i used for reference throughout the explanation is called: Skylake and it's full specs with lots of pics are accessible from my signature.

Reactions: ItsKieranL
Solution

TRENDING THREADS