Question Upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d, help needed.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone, in the future I should upgrade the Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d but I'm having doubts if my board currently holds up in terms of VRM the processor.
MSI B450 VDH PRO MAX, It's a board that I still intend to use, I wasn't really looking to buy another board, if that's the case I'd buy a new generation Ryzen 7000,
which would be much more expensive..

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone, in the future I should upgrade the Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d but I'm having doubts if my board currently holds up in terms of VRM the processor.
MSI B450 VDH PRO MAX, It's a board that I still intend to use, I wasn't really looking to buy another board, if that's the case I'd buy a new generation Ryzen 7000,
which would be much more expensive..
What help do you believe we can provide? You don't want to buy another motherboard.

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Not a great board for the chip.
Yes, but I was here to think and discuss with friends about this, I just want to know if the board can handle the processor just for a while.
I said up there that I had no intention of buying a board because I want to use it for a while longer, so if the processor holds up I'll take advantage of the board I have until I buy a new one and rams indicated for the processor. I'm with 3000mhz cl16 rams and I've seen that 3600mhz cl16 are quite cheap.

kanewolf

Titan
If you read what I wrote you understand. "I'm having doubts if my board currently holds up in terms of VRM the process"
And again, what help can we provide. We can say "Don't worry". You will still worry. Someone can say "I have that board and never had any problems". But it turns out that their cooling is completely different than yours and you can still have problems.
You can upgrade and maybe have problems maybe not. Life has very FEW guarantees.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
And again, what help can we provide. We can say "Don't worry". You will still worry. Someone can say "I have that board and never had any problems". But it turns out that their cooling is completely different than yours and you can still have problems.
You can upgrade and maybe have problems maybe not. Life has very FEW guarantees.
Yes, but I was here to think and discuss with friends about this, I just want to know if the board can handle the processor just for a while.
I said up there that I had no intention of buying a board because I want to use it for a while longer, so if the processor holds up I'll take advantage of the board I have until I buy a new one and rams indicated for the processor. I'm with 3000mhz cl16 rams and I've seen that 3600mhz cl16 are quite cheap.
Don't be upset with the responses you get here. Some people forget the spirit of the reason people are here to give advice and try to help. The old saying there are no dumb questions still goes for me.

The safer bet if you want an 8 core might be the 5700x since it should be lower power and lower cost as well. So if you are concerned about your board then you may consider that route. Not quite as fast as the 5800x3d but compared to a ryzen 5 2600 it should still be a substantial upgrade. Then save the money you didn’t spend towards a gpu if you are needing an update there.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
The safer bet if you want an 8 core might be the 5700x since it should be lower power and lower cost as well. So if you are concerned about your board then you may consider that route. Not quite as fast as the 5800x3d but compared to a ryzen 5 2600 it should still be a substantial upgrade. Then save the money you didn’t spend towards a gpu if you are needing an update there.

I bought a RX 6750XT a few months ago for 520 euros, so now I would upgrade the processor.
In dollars fact the Ryzen 7 5700x is very cheap, here it is around 240-260 euros and the Ryzen 7 5800x3d is around 430 euros, I am waiting for it to drop to an acceptable value.. Despite my graphics it was 520 euros the store bought it for 429 euros but as I am in Portugal I take it with 23 VAT

Last edited:

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Don't be upset with the responses you get here. Some people forget the spirit of the reason people are here to give advice and try to help. The old saying there are no dumb questions still goes for me.

I wasn't even upset with the answers, I just found it unnecessary since the post is explicit about my doubts.
What I find funny is that the Retired Moderator was more capable of answering me in an explicit way than the Moderator.
But we all have bad days, so it's cool.

kanewolf

Titan
I wasn't even upset with the answers, I just found it unnecessary since the post is explicit about my doubts.
What I find funny is that the Retired Moderator was more capable of answering me in an explicit way than the Moderator.
But we all have bad days, so it's cool.
I answered you in the most honest way I could. Your situation is unique. We could provide guidance that says "The manufacturer supports it..." or "I have that motherboard and haven't had an issue...". BUT your cooling, GPU, airflow are all unique. I can't GUARANTEE that you won't have an issue. That is what you were looking for, a guarantee.
You "liked answers that agreed with your decision. That's fine.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
I answered you in the most honest way I could. Your situation is unique. We could provide guidance that says "The manufacturer supports it..." or "I have that motherboard and haven't had an issue...". BUT your cooling, GPU, airflow are all unique. I can't GUARANTEE that you won't have an issue. That is what you were looking for, a guarantee.
You "liked answers that agreed with your decision. That's fine.

Now I understand what you meant.
In terms of cooling, I have an Artic 34 ESports, I have people who use this cooler on that specific processor. Since the Artic 34 is at the same performance level or better than the Kolink Umbra(are two options that I have), I've seen tests with a Kolink cooler handling a Ryzen 9 7950X.
In terms of case and ventilation, I have a Kolink Citadel Micro-ATX with 2 Artic F14 140mm blowing air in and a 120mm Artic P12 blowing air out.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
The cooler might handle it but you don’t want to overheat the vrms on the board. If you do the board could give out at some point. That’s why I say the 5700x might be a safer bet.
13212.PNG

In fact, I was even quite surprised by the VRM temperatures, quite low for what I expected.
Yes, I already have the 5800x3D with the board and it's fine. Now we just need a Cooling in conditions.
I'm going to buy the Kolink Citadel ATX Mesh and Artic Water Cooler Freezer II 420.

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
People telling you that "this board is good with this CPU" and "that board is bad with that CPU" and "watch out for your vrm temperatures" are all talking out their butts.

There's absolutely nothing to worry about. If the manufacturer says it will work, then it will work. Don't do anything s*tupid like play with voltages and clock speeds and there's pretty much nothing that can or will go wrong.