Upgrading to AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 Ghz...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
you'll need to check compatibility, but you will most likely need a mobo upgrade. if you get an AM2+ mobo though, you can at least keep the RAM you already have.

i'd recommend a new PSU though for sure. a corsair vx450 should do the job nicely.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I didn't really want to change out my motherboard (and really do not have the money to do so), so perhaps someone here could recommend me a processor that will work with my motherboard. It needs to be at least 2.6 Ghz so I can play more recent games.

Thanks

welshmousepk

Distinguished
link doesn't work. what processor are you linking?

how much do you have to spend? you could get an athlon II 620 (quad) and a compatible mobo for less than 170 dollars. that would offer very nice gains.

EDIT: just tried the link again and it worked. the 5200 is better than your current processor, but not to any sizeable degree. you may get some more performance, but nothing huge.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
"how much do you have to spend? you could get an athlon II 620 (quad) and a compatible mobo for less than 170 dollars. that would offer very nice gains."

Hmmm... and what particular motherboard do you have in mind?

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Ohhh, that is a good deal, but are we all sure that this motherboard is compatible with my Dell e521. Remember, it has one of those upside down designs.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

you will probably need to update your motherboard's bios. I doubt you can just plop that cpu and expect it to work right off the bat.

What games are you planning to play? And what resolution is your monitor? You should also consider upgrading your video card too so you can get the most performance for what you have.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

- I have heard that updating the BIOS on one of these ancient rigs can ruin your chances to upgrade your processor.... or not.

- Flight Simulator X aka the Devil's game.

- I have a 22" Acer monitor 1680x1050.

- I actually have already ordered a new video card and it will arrive Tuesday. PNY Geforce 9600GT

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

Just dont incorrectly update a motherboard's bios and corrupt it because it will ruin the motherboard period :cry:
Everything else sounds good.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Speaking of which, I just attempted to update my BIOS to version 1.1.4, but when I try to run the installation application I receive an error message stating, "Flash Access Denied". "Please make sure you are logged in as Administrator then try re-starting the application."

Ummm, aren't I already logged in as Administrator? Do I have to do this in Safe Mode?

You may have to boot into safe mode and log in as "Administrator". You never know with those Dell utilities ^_^. Anyway, it's too bad your board and case is of the micro BTX variety. Switching to an ATX or micro-ATX board would require you to get a new case as well. Hopefully upgrading to the Athlon 6000+ and a 9600GT will be enough for you till you decide to build a new machine.

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Thanks for the advice, but the solution was strikingly simply. I just had to right click on the file and hit "Run as Administrator" and it worked! :)

Oh and I think that the Athlon 6000+ and 9600GT will hold me for a very long time. As long as this upgrade can handle The Sims 2, The Sims 2, FSX, GTA IV, and other such games, I will be totally happy. But when I do decide to upgrade, I will probably choose ibuypower.com. Their products are almost SUSPICIOUSLY cheap!

Thanks a bunch for th- WAAAAIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will I need to upgrade my 305W power supply to handle the new processor??

strike74

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Oh, lol. I updated from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4. I didn't realize that we had this many BIOS updates.... GOOGLE LIED!!!

Thanks, updating my BIOS now.