Upgrading to an m.2 drive

Feb 6, 2019
So basically what I have been looking at doing is upgrading a bunch of components in one big haul (motherboard, boot drive, CPU) and I was looking into upgrading from an SSD boot drive to a m.2 drive.

The way I have my storage set up is that I have a 1tb SSD for games and whatever, a 1 tb hhd for games and whatever and a 128gb SSD that I use for Windows and applications like steam and origin.

So basically I have 2 1tb drives almost full to the brim with games and a boot drive that is full of windows and the game launchers.

So my question is, how can I upgrade my boot drive while keeping all of my games working, my internet is absolutely shocking so re installing would literally take about a month or so non stop and I cannot deal with that.

One possible outcome would be to flash the old drive to the new drive however I haven't seen anyone try it with a setup like mine so I don't know if it would work. Another possible outcome is to download windows onto the new drive and then somehow delete it off the old one however I have no idea if you can remove JUST windows from a drive and if so would all my applications on it still run.

If at all possible I would prefer to keep my settings intact so flashing may be the way to go. I am only running a budget setup so I am not to well versed in advanced PC gaming vocabulary so try not to confuse me too much. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2019
I use the computer for gaming and hanging out with my friends in discord, so nothing important like banking or whatever. I am looking at the gigabyte ga-990x-sli it's a bit hard to find but it is an atx am3+ motherboard and I am looking at getting the amd fx-8350 black edition which is a 4ghz am3+ octa core cpu

USAFRet

Titan

"and I am looking at getting the amd fx-8350 black edition"

Oh good grief...don't do that.
Several years old, and was crappy when it was new.

1. You need to spec out a whole new system. And not based on a CPU that old.
2. For your gaming and discord use, an NVMe SSD is a total waste of money. You can get twicve the drive space with a regular SATA III drive, either m.2 or 2.5".

Feb 6, 2019
Just out of curiosity what makes a CPU bad because I can get this one for £60 of amazon, and one of the reasons why I wanted a new motherboard wasn't really to upgrade but to replace a broken motherboard while getting rid of my old APU for a better CPU.

There are plenty other CPU options so I am wondering what makes this one bad

Feb 6, 2019
I can't afford to buy a whole new system so I am just looking at how I can improve the one I do have, I am also not really worried about how old the parts are because I am only upgrading a budget rig

USAFRet

Titan

"upgrading a bunch of components in one big haul (motherboard, boot drive, CPU)"

That IS most of a whole new system.