[SOLVED] Upgrading to an SSD on old pc

rafalex347

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
So, my sis has a really old PC running on a HDD. I was going to build a new one for her but due to the GPU prices it doesn't look like a good idea for now, and since she doesn't us her computer for anything intensive- school work/a bit of Genshin impact- it is not really urgent. But, the computer is really slow, so I though of just buying an SSD and transferring the windows on it to speed it up. My question is would this ssd work with this motherboard.

Solution
Ok, so even though I'll probs get the 1TB, I have cleared out the computer to the point where 372GB of storage is taken up, giving 558GB of free storage.
OK then.
Either the 500GB or a different, 1TB.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or...

USAFRet

Titan
After going through the stupid captcha....

Motherboard - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
SSD - WD 500GB Blue 3D NAND 2.5" SATA SSD

Yes.
That drive is a drop in replacement for an HDD.

The 'transferring the windows' or clean install....different question.

Either way can be done, just depends on a few things.

What OS?
When was it last installed?
How much space is consumed on the current C drive?

rafalex347

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
After going through the stupid captcha....

Motherboard - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
SSD - WD 500GB Blue 3D NAND 2.5" SATA SSD

Yes.
That drive is a drop in replacement for an HDD.

The 'transferring the windows' or clean install....different question.

Either way can be done, just depends on a few things.

What OS?
When was it last installed?
How much space is consumed on the current C drive?
The PC runs on Windows 10, initially installed in July of 2016, updated today to the latest version.
There is 517 GB consumed on the C drive, giving 413GB of free space on the drive.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I don't like system and data on the same partition. Reason: it is easy and fast making an image (I use Macrium Reflect Free) of just a system partition (or Drive) and you only need to do it when you have updated the system or added a number of programs. The data (documents, photos, videos, music, and other folders that show a location tab in the properties) can be easily moved to another partition (or drive). Then you regularly backup your data (I use Syncback free).
The other advantage is if you have a system problem, your data is not affected when you restore your system partition.
If you have cleaned up your system you need to reduce the size of the partition to less than the SSD size you buy. Then image it. Then you can restore it to the SSD. I would keep the HDD as your data drive. Writing data to an HDD won't affect the overall system performance unless you are processing a lot of data.
My systems have a small SSD (256GB) for system only and an HDD for data.
More economical and you can keep using your HDD.

I don't like system and data on the same partition. Reason: it is easy and fast making an image (I use Macrium Reflect Free) of just a system partition (or Drive) and you only need to do it when you have updated the system or added a number of programs. The data (documents, photos, videos, music, and other folders that show a location tab in the properties) can be easily moved to another partition (or drive). Then you regularly backup your data (I use Syncback free).
The other advantage is if you have a system problem, your data is not affected when you restore your system partition.
If you have cleaned up your system you need to reduce the size of the partition to less than the SSD size you buy. Then image it. Then you can restore it to the SSD. I would keep the HDD as your data drive. Writing data to an HDD won't affect the overall system performance unless you are processing a lot of data.
My systems have a small SSD (256GB) for system only and an HDD for data.
More economical and you can keep using your HDD.
What you wrote is true however many/most users only know one thing.....point and click.
Don't confuse them with things like backups/multiple partitions or more than one disk.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, so even though I'll probs get the 1TB, I have cleared out the computer to the point where 372GB of storage is taken up, giving 558GB of free storage.
OK then.
Either the 500GB or a different, 1TB.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive (if you're using an M.2 drive, don't worry about the cables)
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution