Upgrading to blu-ray, need graphics card

brotech

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before Christmas

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Just for playing Blu-ray discs

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Integrated video 128MB GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (HP), Power supply not known at this time. It's an HP that was probably bought at Best Buy so I don't know if there's a wattage that's typical to see in a pre-built package.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: ECS HP MCP61PM-HM Nettle2-GL8E 6150SE AM2 Motherboard. Has SATA connections capable of supporting blu ray drive and PCIEx16 for graphics card.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or Tigerdirect

PARTS PREFERENCES: HDMI and/ or DVI output. Only needs to meet requirements for HD Blu-ray playback. Prefer lower power consumption as I don't want to replace PSU (although I haven't been able to look at the wattage yet) I would like to avoid as much as possible any major increase in heat inside the case, although I understand that adding a video card and extra drive will result in some increased temperature regardless.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
My starting point was using the cyberlink advisory software at http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do which failed the system at the Graphics card (thus this post). The Cyberlink software website recommends something at or above Intel G45, ATI Radeon HD 2400, NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT. As previously stated theres is no graphics card yet just integrated with analog output. The budget is around $200 for the player, software and card leaving approximately $100 for the card. I hope this was detailed without being too wordy and I appreciate any advice or questions from the community!