Question Upgrading to fibre optic- will TP-Link VR400 support it?

SuperSpasm

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
I'm currently in the process of upgrading from DSL to Fibre optic, and the service rep offered to bundle in a modem/router
I already have a TP-Link Acher VR400, which I've seen labeled as 'fibre' supporting on some marketing materials/user guides.

However, config videos I saw for this and similar modem-routers only show a phone (DSL) cable connection.
A seach in the user manual for fibre / optic also comes up short.
I did find config videos for other routers that have a designated ethernet port for fibre input.
I couldn't find any documentation of an analogous port on my router.

So I'm a bit confused. Will it support fibre optic?
Any clarification on support and the way this technology works in general would be great.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
You need to work with your specific provider on this.

But generally, the "fiber" does not go all the way to your router device.
There will be a box at your house to convert from the street fiber to 'something else'. Coax or ethernet.

But no...your router appears to be ADSL, not fiber capable.

SuperSpasm

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
You need to work with your specific provider on this.

But generally, the "fiber" does not go all the way to your router device.
There will be a box at your house to convert from the street fiber to 'something else'. Coax or ethernet.

But no...your router appears to be ADSL, not fiber capable.

Thanks for your reply- a couple follow up questions:
1. By 'Box at my house' do you mean a modem (in my house) that connects to a fiber wall jack? or a box at the boundary where street fibre splits to my house?

2. In the second case:does this mean the actual wall jack will be ethernet?
if so, can I connect the wall ethernet directly to my router, or will it still have to go through a modem?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not sure how your connection will be constructed and how your house is wired.

But here (USA/Verizon), the fiber cable comes right up to the house.
There, the interface box (Optical Network Terminal - ONT) takes in the fiber, and spits out either coax or ethernet (or both).

The standard connection is coax to the ISP supplied router, and then ethernet after that.
Optionally, it could be ethernet, direct from the ONT.

Again, talk to your provider and see what your options are.

TRENDING THREADS