Upgrading to i5-2500k CPU

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey all,

I'm looking into upgrading my current rig so I can use an i5-2500k CPU. Since I'm currently using a motherboard which is NOT compatible with the i5-2500k, I will need to purchase a new one plus DDR3 ram.

Can you recommend to me the cheapest possible motherboard that is compatible with an i5-2500k CPU?

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Is there much of a price difference between the non-K and K CPU? I didn't plan on over-clocking since I don't know how to do it, but if it's worth the extra £££ then I'll consider getting it.

Essentially I'm looking for the cheapest mobo prices for either a non-K or K version. Also, if you know where I can get the CPU at a reasonable price then I'd appreciate a link to that too.

The diiference only is £10, but you can use a less expensive motherboard if overclocking is not required (though you can use a really cheap motherboard with the K version and not overclock it). You can buy a basic motherboard like an Asus P8H61-M LE, but I'd certainly spend more for an i5-2500 or an i5-2500K compatible motherboard.

Where are you and where do you normally shop?

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I am Hi-Res but not SLI; I'm running a single GTX 460. :)

United Kingdom, and honestly I don't "normally shop" anywhere. My PC was initially pre-built by and purchased from ebuyer, so really I have no idea where to get the best prices.

I guess I'll go with the non-K option, so if you could let me know what you'd recommend (and where to get it) that would be great. :)

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Heh...I didn't look into all of that. I just searched it up on Google and that was the cheapest price. A bit silly of me really. :ange:

@GhislainG

You suggested the Asus P8H61-M LE earlier...but it looked as if you had something else in mind?

I'll admit that I don't like cheap components. Quality power supplies and motherboards usually lead to more stable systems. If you buy an inexpensive motherboard, then you should probably consider an inexpensive CPU like the i3-2100 as it's a better match.

If you really want an i5-2500K (it's a great CPU), then why not use a motherboard like the Biostar TP67B+ or an Asus P8P67 Pro?