[SOLVED] Upgrading to i7 9700k with existing config

Jan 22, 2021
Hi everyone!

I am not experienced in this stuff so I was wondering if someone who has bigger knowledge in this topic can help me out.

I own a Gigabyte B360M DS3H mobo with currently running an i5 8500 with 2x8 2666 mhz ram. I would like to upgrade for either an i7 9700 or an i7 9700k (currently paired with an RX 5600 XT).

I would like to buy the 9700k (with a bequiet dark rock slim cooler), but I wonder if my motherboard could take the turbo clocks. Yes I know I only have a B360M mobo and because of this I cannot overclock the K version, but I can sell my current cpu for a good money and also both the 9700 and the 9700k well priced atm in my country. I can see if I use stock 9700 and 9700k, K version is still hase higher freq (9700 all core turbo goes to 4400 mhz while 9700k goes to 4700mhz - in my opinion it is enough to make a difference).

My question is if I put the 9700k into my mobo, will the all core turbo clocks work as intended, or will it throttle down? Will my mobo "let it" use the all core turbo freq as intended? I was trying to look after it on the web but I did not find any answer about this specific problem. I have the latest bios updated already (F17 if I remember correctly). Or should I only aim for i7 9700?

I can see on the gigabyte website that my mobo supports 9th gen up to even 9900k, but there is not a single word anywhere that the turbo clocks will work as they should or it will just work on stock freq.

Also I have a good airflow (at least I think with 2 intake and 2 outtake fans), my i5 8500 does not go above 75C with STOCK cooler at full load.

Please note that I do not want to ever tinker with overlcocks, but I mostly play Guild wars 2 and Planetside 2 and these games rely very heavily on single core performance, that is why I would pick 9700k over the non K version, there is only a small difference in price now.

I know it is a "dead" platform already, but if I aim for something like a ryzen 5 5600X it is more than 2 times the price than the i7 with the cooler and for now I would not get 2 times the performance. For now, this purchase would make the biggest difference with the least money.

PS: I know about the graphicless "f" version, but in my country it is more expensive than the normal version.

Any advice is very well appreciated!

Sincerely,
Richard

The i5-8500's factory cooler was likely marginal (80-85C temps under load) even for that CPU, it is not adequate (i my opinion) for even a stock clocked 9700K....

If you attempt to use it in a 'stop-gap' solution, I'd at least invoke Intel's XTU to underclock/undervolt while awaiting a better cooler (think 4.0-4.2 GHz all core vice 4.6 GHz all core factory standard, adjust all-core multipliers upward or downward to keep temps under 80C or so under load....)

Jan 22, 2021
The i5-8500's factory cooler was likely marginal (80-85C temps under load) even for that CPU, it is not adequate (i my opinion) for even a stock clocked 9700K....

If you attempt to use it in a 'stop-gap' solution, I'd at least invoke Intel's XTU to underclock/undervolt while awaiting a better cooler (think 4.0-4.2 GHz all core vice 4.6 GHz all core factory standard, adjust all-core multipliers upward or downward to keep temps under 80C or so under load....)

Nono, you did not read my post carefuly. I am GOING TO BUY a new cooler with the cpu (a BeQueit! Dark Rock Slim).