Upgrading to i7 cpu

benwinspear

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi guys quick question ... i currently have a dell optiplex 755 and i want to up grade my current processor to an i7 so i can run better games. Obviously the dell motherboard does not support anything past quad core 2. Do i have to buy a new computer or can i swap the motherboard out for one that does support intel i7 cpu ? please excuse my technical ignorance.

Solution
You will run into problems with fitment trying to use aftermarket standardized motherboards (Form factor, problems with I/O panels), power supplies (Form factor, size, in some cases proprietary motherboard connections) and graphics cards (Length and sometimes height).

You'd be much better to simply plan to replace the case as well as the motherboard and CPU. This probably means an entirely new build because you probably either have DDR2 memory or old, slow DDR3, that may not even work with newer boards due to differences in chip density between older DDR3 and more recent memory modules.

To avoid headaches and wasting money, I'd just plan for a new case, power supply, motherboard, cpu and memory. You can probably reuse your drives and...
You will run into problems with fitment trying to use aftermarket standardized motherboards (Form factor, problems with I/O panels), power supplies (Form factor, size, in some cases proprietary motherboard connections) and graphics cards (Length and sometimes height).

You'd be much better to simply plan to replace the case as well as the motherboard and CPU. This probably means an entirely new build because you probably either have DDR2 memory or old, slow DDR3, that may not even work with newer boards due to differences in chip density between older DDR3 and more recent memory modules.

To avoid headaches and wasting money, I'd just plan for a new case, power supply, motherboard, cpu and memory. You can probably reuse your drives and graphics card if you wish.

Solution