Apr 19, 2020
I have a Dell Dimension 9200. I know its old, but i know there's ways to make into a lower end gaming PC. I upgraded to windows 7, computer has 4gb of ram, a geforce 7900 gtx and a 1tb HDD. Beyond popular belief, i have read you can upgrade to 8 gb of ram and up to an intel core 2 Extreme Qx6800 Cpu. Can i actually do those upgrades? And if so, what are the top Gpu's i can buy for the new cpu and Ram. Also i have standard 375W power supply, I've read mixed reviews on if i should upgrade that as well. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
I love these older Dells for their cheap simplicity.

So you can upgrade to 8GB using 4x2gb units as long as you are on the most recent bios. You will probably be limited to ddr2-800 aka pc2-6400u. (This system does not use fbdimms so that is of no concern.)

Yep, and you can upgrade to the qx6800, which will pack a nice punch depending on what you are upgrading from.

As far as gpu, this is where it gets a bit tricky. While your power supply is good and can even be upgraded with almost any standard atx unit, the amount of room for the card itself is limited due to the btx motherboard design. This will be your biggest challenge. The other issue will be that newer cards will require a uefi bios, which the 9200 does not have...

So you can upgrade to 8GB using 4x2gb units as long as you are on the most recent bios. You will probably be limited to ddr2-800 aka pc2-6400u. (This system does not use fbdimms so that is of no concern.)

Yep, and you can upgrade to the qx6800, which will pack a nice punch depending on what you are upgrading from.

As far as gpu, this is where it gets a bit tricky. While your power supply is good and can even be upgraded with almost any standard atx unit, the amount of room for the card itself is limited due to the btx motherboard design. This will be your biggest challenge. The other issue will be that newer cards will require a uefi bios, which the 9200 does not have.

Still even with these restrictions, there are a number of upgrades that are available as a single slot, short card:

Your 7900 gtx is actually pretty quick for what it is, and at best you will see a 2x-5x increase in gpu specs with an upgrade, but the actual performance may be limited to much less than that due to the cpu architecture. For now, I would hold off on a graphics upgrade until you get the memory and cpu in place.

And one thing to watch for regarding the cpu--watch out for fakes. It is better to buy a known working used processor from a reputable electronics recycler than a 'new' one from overseas. The 'new' ones are not only fakes, but could have all sorts of malicious intent packed in them.

I hope this helps and let us know how it all goes!

Reactions: MillertimePC
Solution
Apr 19, 2020

As far as gpu, this is where it gets a bit tricky. While your power supply is good and can even be upgraded with almost any standard atx unit, the amount of room for the card itself is limited due to the btx motherboard design. This will be your biggest challenge. The other issue will be that newer cards will require a uefi bios, which the 9200 does not have.

Still even with these restrictions, there are a number of upgrades that are available as a single slot, short card:

Your 7900 gtx is actually pretty quick for what it is, and at best you will see a 2x-5x increase in gpu specs with an upgrade, but the actual performance may be limited to much less than that due to the cpu architecture. For now, I would hold off on a graphics upgrade until you get the memory and cpu in place.

And one thing to watch for regarding the cpu--watch out for fakes. It is better to buy a known working used processor from a reputable electronics recycler than a 'new' one from overseas. The 'new' ones are not only fakes, but could have all sorts of malicious intent packed in them.

I hope this helps and let us know how it all goes!
Thanks for the quick response, and i am going to start with ram and cpu. I've found 4x2g sticks for around $20 and qx6800 cpu's for $50-$100. The Main graphics card im thinking of putting in is the 750 ti or higher. I've read a thread or two on people using them with that cpu. I know they use less power and don't need a pcei connector even though mine does have one, but i also know it will cut down the need for a much bigger psu. My goal is to make a computer that can play the newest games at low resolution and planning on a total of $220-$300 for the entire build. So its not like its that big of waste on an old PC when people spend literally 1000,s for gaming PC's. In fact that cpu was $1,199 when it was released lol! Anyways i will update you guys after the new installs, thanks again

That sounds about right for the memory, but that cpu is way too expensive. I think I got each of mine (I have 3x) for $15 or less shipped.

The 750Ti is a great card and that's what I was thinking of originally, but it won't fit because of the plastics behind the x16 slot because the card is double width. :( But otherwise, yes, it is a pretty nice card, although not as much of an upgrade as you would think:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-7900-gtx.c154
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-gtx-750-ti.b2783

Reactions: MillertimePC
Apr 19, 2020
That sounds about right for the memory, but that cpu is way too expensive. I think I got each of mine (I have 3x) for $15 or less shipped.

The 750Ti is a great card and that's what I was thinking of originally, but it won't fit because of the plastics behind the x16 slot because the card is double width. :( But otherwise, yes, it is a pretty nice card, although not as much of an upgrade as you would think:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-7900-gtx.c154
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-gtx-750-ti.b2783
I have thought about buying a $15 cpu thats just under. I think it was. Raedon like 5450 or something like that was the max gpu. I know even that was better than the 7900 gtx... And the 7900 can only run direct x 10 i believe. Perferomance wise yes, i think you're right. It wouldn't be a huge difference, but i think i could play newer released games.

Apr 19, 2020
I have thought about buying a $15 cpu thats just under. I think it was. Raedon like 5450 or something like that was the max gpu. I know even that was better than the 7900 gtx... And the 7900 can only run direct x 10 i believe. Perferomance wise yes, i think you're right. It wouldn't be a huge difference, but i think i could play newer released games.
So you are saying the 750ti works with a lower cpu?

TRENDING THREADS