Upgrading to new CPU

Jan 16, 2019
Hello, so I’m going to upgrade my pc CPU from an Intel Pentium to a Intel i5 2500. I’m wondering if any bios update is required, I have read that it might be dangerous updating it so I don’t know if I should.
Thanks for any help

Solution
Which motherboard do you have? Unless you're on a BIOS revision that does not support the 2500 then no, a BIOS update is not 'required'.
Jan 16, 2019
Thank you for the quick response, appreciate it. I am currently using Lenovo 7033GQ1, I may be upgrading that too but I don’t know what to. If you have any suggestions, it would be helpful. Thanks in regards!

What is the model of your current Pentium? The EXACT model?

What is the model of your motherboard, which should be printed somewhere directly on the face of the motherboard, becase 7033GQ1 is the model of your whole system, not the motherboard.

According to the specs for the Lenovo 7033GQ1 that system should have COME with an i5-2400, but there could certainly be different elevations of model that all come with different hardware within the same product family.

What this tells me is that somebody MIGHT have changed some hardware on that system already, so knowing exact current hardware model numbers is going to be rather important.

That is a Sandy bridge Pentium, so it should be compatible on any board that supports the i5-2500 as well HOWEVER there ARE a few OEM boards out there that supported lower end Pentium and Celeron processors but never received BIOS support for the i3, i5 and i7 variants. This is not common though so any board that supports that Pentium should support that i5.

Whether or not the board has adequate power delivery and VRMs is or might be another story though. As I said, that exact system shows that it comes with an i5-2400 for at least on sub model within that product family so my assumption would be that yes, it supports it and probably without the need for any bios updates just as Barty said in the beginning.