Question Upgrading to play Elder Scrolls 6, etc in future. $800-1000 budget w/o GPU

radioman970

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
Updating in anticipation for Elder Scrolls 6. Plus a few others I have now that would benefit. I've been shopping for weeks and having trouble hitting the BUY button. Lot of money to spend only to find I screwed up something or even maybe I should have waited.

Specific reason for upgrading: Trying to future proof while waiting for the price of an appropriate GPU to come down, and for the official ES6 recommended specs in a year or two. So I won't get a GPU at this time. I'd get a 2k maybe 4k monitor to go with the GPU purchase. But I need to upgrade my current monitor I've had for 10 years right now because I suffer from eye strain.

Stuff I play now that might benefit
Fallout 4-has to be restarted every now and then because of texture errors and just clunkiness, slow to shut down, not using HD textures. But it's playable
Kingdom Come-sparatic clunkiness with variable settings from low to very high, not fun this way. one of the ones to base the upgrade on along with ES6
Elite Dangerous-big firefights are laggy, otherwise it's very smooth
Dying Light-not bad, but not always smooth
Numerous demanding EA and uplay games (Battlefront 2, Battlefield 1, which are not playable, plus the Farcry series)
Minecraft-tons of pop in, but would upgrade to the Win 10 edition
Lots of others that are often clunky

My current system:
Windows 7/64 (will be getting Win10 since I believe it is required for bios update and perhaps a few other things)
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (Year bought 2011)
AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black Edition (2011)
Samsung 1tb 7200 HD (2011)
-2 other HDs, WB 2tb each
-will move all these over along with dvd burner
CT2594810 8GB Crucial RAM (2016)
Sapphire R9 380x 4gb (bought 2016) (will move this over)
Corsair HX750 80+ gold PSU (2011) (will move this awesome thing over)
Rosewill Destroyer case (2011)
ASUS 24" LCD Monitor (2009)

Stuff in my amazon cart and reasons I chose it:
Asus ROG Strix B450-f (for the excellent onboard sound mainly, everything else seems pretty good and compariable to others)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (seems a great fit price/performance)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (great price right now at $95)
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TV M.2 2280 SSD (reviews on this are outstanding)
APEVIA X-Dreamer 4 ATX Mid Tower gaming case (comes with 5 fans installed, temp display, seems roomy, looks nice with the green)
Acer Nitro VG271 27" 1080 IPS with Freesync 144hz (can't find a 1440p model with the same specs/price)
AmazonBasics Displayport to displayport cable 6 feet (I believe this is the right cable, not sure if one comes with the monitor)
Optical Audio Cable IVanky (I have a Z-5500 that will operate really well with the new mobo and this cable, I"m using colored wires on my current and it's very low volume :( used to have optical but I thought my current onboard sound couldn't use it after the SB X-TI Titanium card I used to have failed and I procrastinated about getting a replacement and stupidly put up with substandard sound for year)

Other things I'd like to get:
Wired lighted gaming keyboard. (I have a logitech Elite Multi-media keyboard I've had many years and it's an absolute pleasure to type/game on, but it's getting harder to see the keys since I like muted light in my house, wondering if the Logitech K740 would be comparable, multimedia stuff isn't necessary since I never really used that stuff anyway)

Other things I've looked at:
Viewsonic XG2701 27" 144hz 1ms 1080p freesync refurb
Dell D2719HGF 27" 144hz 2 ms 1080p freesync new
Acer XF270H 27" 144hz 1ms 1080p freesync
ViewSonic XG2702 27" 1080p 1ms 144h freesync
Rosewill Challenger S case
Rosewill Nautilus case
uphere 3-pack long life computer case fan 120mm

Uses: gaming, surfing net, watching youtubes, audio recording/editing with Allen&Heath USB mixer and Adobe Audition, some video/sound editing Sony Vegas
Budget $800-1000.
Future budget for a GPU $200-350
Amazon/Newegg both fine. Ebay not.
Timeline: whenever.

Don't want to reuse case. Would like to keep mobo and cpu in there just in case there's a problem.

Thanks in advance!
James

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS