[SOLVED] Upgrading to R7 3700x - How is it on AMD's side?

Alex Kiraly

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Hello, I have just made the final decision of upgrading my i5 3570k to something new, and that happened to be the Ryzen 7 3700x. I got it together with an Asus Prime x570 - Pro and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz CL15.

I am trying to get up and running with the how-to's first, since I don't have time to assemble it physically any time soon. My uncertainty's right now are as follows:
  • Would I be able to run the RAM in quad channel configuration? I heard AMD only supports dual channel
  • For what I know, XMP is something specific to Intel motherboards. Does this one have something similar?
  • Can I effectively run 2 x 1080 TI in SLI with this CPU? The i5 I have now was not happy about it when I gave it a go (bad performance, bottleneck?)
  • "Turbo Boost" - How does the frequency range scale in comparison to Intel?
  • How sensitive is the Ryzen CPU to high temps? Does it affect speed? Some said it behaves like a GPU in terms of frequency and temperature
  • Should I change the integrated cooler? Can you OC with it and not worry?
  • Given the motherboard and cpu both support PCI-E 4.0, will devices with PCI-E 3.0 see any benefit from it?

I know it's a bunch of questions, but this is my first time ever on the red team. Thanks!

Solution
Quad channel? No. Use all four memory slots? Yes.
XMP? Yes.
SLI? Yes. But why?
Turbo Boost is just ramping up performance when needed. Intel and AMD CPUs both do this. You'll see no difference from what you are used to seeing.
Temp sensitivity? No more sensitive than any other modern CPU.
Change cooler? Yes. The Wraith is okay, but there are much better options.
PCIe 3.0 devices in PCIe 4.o slots? They will not "gain" anything, they will work as 3.0 devices.

I have this motherboard and CPU sitting 3 feet away from me. Been a great system.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Quad channel? No. Use all four memory slots? Yes.
XMP? Yes.
SLI? Yes. But why?
Turbo Boost is just ramping up performance when needed. Intel and AMD CPUs both do this. You'll see no difference from what you are used to seeing.
Temp sensitivity? No more sensitive than any other modern CPU.
Change cooler? Yes. The Wraith is okay, but there are much better options.
PCIe 3.0 devices in PCIe 4.o slots? They will not "gain" anything, they will work as 3.0 devices.

I have this motherboard and CPU sitting 3 feet away from me. Been a great system.

Solution

Alex Kiraly

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Awesome, SLI is just a fun gimmick because I am running triple 1080p monitors for productivity, and some gaming here and there is nice. It looks like a single 1080ti can't really handle the resolution at max settings, or my current CPU doesn't want that to happen. In any way, I've never really experienced the "true power" of two ti's, so that's that.

I will also grab a NH-D15 as a replacement cooler later on, if it seems to need a swap. All clear now, thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Awesome, SLI is just a fun gimmick because I am running triple 1080p monitors for productivity, and some gaming here and there is nice. It looks like a single 1080ti can't really handle the resolution at max settings, or my current CPU doesn't want that to happen. In any way, I've never really experienced the "true power" of two ti's, so that's that.

I will also grab a NH-D15 as a replacement cooler later on, if it seems to need a swap. All clear now, thanks!
The Noctua is a good choice. They are my air cooler of choice, as well.