[SOLVED] Upgrading to Ryzen 3100 compatibility with my existing RAM

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
My system:
Intel i5 6600K (died recently, didn't even overclocked )
Intel TS15A Cooler
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3
Zotac GTX 1050ti 4gb OC
Corsair 700W PSU
Kingston 16gb 2133 Mhz (Non-ECC KVR21N15D8/16) Ram , one stick

• Recently my 6600K died, I was looking to put in 6-7th gen Intel chip but they are not available or still around their original price.
  • I didn't felt right to invest in 2nd hand /used 6-7th gen chip , as it may die in a month.
  • I was thinking to move on to 3100 + new motherboard extreme max budget 300$.
  • I use this machine for VMs, Programming, Gaming on Low-Med settings, on an average 2-3 apps are running. I don't overclock.

1. So is my RAM compatible, with Ryzen 3100?
  2. What should I keep in mind while moving on to 3100?
  3. What upgrades/changes I will have to do?
  4. What motherboards are compatible with Ryzen 3100 , without need of upgrading BIOS?
  5. Will Ryzen 3100 be more powerful than 6600K ?

-Thank You for helping me out !

Solution
Seems a real waste to not just find a 7700K given that you already have the motherboard. There's no real reason to expect it to die. How did you test that it's your CPU that's the problem? CPUs actually dying without something traumatic happening like it being fried by an external source/irresponsible overclock is a quite rare occurrence.

If you do upgrade to a Ryzen, you'll really need new RAM. Single-stick, painfully slow and cheap RAM is a surefire way to cripple a Ryzen build. It's like buying a new car and trying to re-use the tires from a golf cart.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Seems a real waste to not just find a 7700K given that you already have the motherboard. There's no real reason to expect it to die. How did you test that it's your CPU that's the problem? CPUs actually dying without something traumatic happening like it being fried by an external source/irresponsible overclock is a quite rare occurrence.

If you do upgrade to a Ryzen, you'll really need new RAM. Single-stick, painfully slow and cheap RAM is a surefire way to cripple a Ryzen build. It's like buying a new car and trying to re-use the tires from a golf cart.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Solution

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020

Yes I did swap Processor in an working mobo which was running a 6th gen chip.
After swapping that working mobo didn't boot, even after resetting bios.

I had issues previously, my pc used to get stuck in boot loop. Now I came to know that CPU was culprit.

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020

Thankyou ,
I came to an decision that i will go with, 9100f + new motherboard this will save me from throwing away 16gb Ram stick in waste, at lower price. Also that cooler would have been a table weight.
My work load isn't focused on gaming and fps but mostly ,primarily office work , programming , browsing etc.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thankyou ,
I came to an decision that i will go with, 9100f + new motherboard this will save me from throwing away 16gb Ram stick in waste, at lower price. Also that cooler would have been a table weight.
My work load isn't focused on gaming and fps but mostly ,primarily office work , programming , browsing etc.

Honestly, building an entire PC around a cheap, slow stick of RAM (and it is important for this other stuff) is a really poor way to plan. It's like buying a car based on you finding some tires for it at the city dump. You can get a proper 2x8 kit (so you're not gimping yourself by running in single-channel) or much better RAM for $50 these days.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99