Question Upgrading to Ryzen 3700X on MSI b450 PRO CARBON AC

akshitb

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I am currently running an i5 6600 + MSI RTX 2060 on a gigabyte board
Have the 970 evo 500gb and 16gb(8x2)3200mhz corsair RAM as well in a corsair carbide spec 01 case

PSU is antec VP550
Going to upgrade to Ryzen 3700X + MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and the antec NX600 cabinet.... will use the wraith prism cooler

PC part picker says - The MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Antec 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

DO i really need the additional connector?...i don't plan on overclocking

Also iv read in multiple places that this motherboard does not boot with the ryzen 3700X...red light flashing.... is this a BIOS thing which they have fixed subsequently?

Lutfij

Titan
Thumb rule with PSU's, is that, if your PSU does not have the necessary connectors for all your components in your build, that PSU should not be in use. If anything, yes, you're going to need to populate the 8pin + 4pin EPS with an 8pin + 4pin EPS from the PSU.

How old is your PSU, mind you?

akshitb

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Sorry i didnt get this

" If anything, yes, you're going to need to populate the 8pin + 4pin EPS with an 8pin + 4pin EPS from the PSU "
Is this the the connector i am missing?

The PSU is 4-5 years old

I use this for mainly for gaming and occasional rendering(single frame).
Going for 3700X over the 3600X just for future proofing.... want to use this CPu for at least 5 years.
Am i making the right decision? or i shud save money and go for the 3600X

Last edited:

akshitb

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Thumb rule with PSU's, is that, if your PSU does not have the necessary connectors for all your components in your build, that PSU should not be in use. If anything, yes, you're going to need to populate the 8pin + 4pin EPS with an 8pin + 4pin EPS from the PSU.

How old is your PSU, mind you?

Just because its there doesnt mean you need to populate it!

According to what i researched IT IS 99.9% PLACEBO. the 8pin can deliver more than 200-240 watts to the CPU... the ryzen 3700X consumes far less than that. I dont understand what the additonal 4 pin(~150W) is required for?...stability while using liquid nitrogen?

I am not even going to Overclock