Question Upgrading to Ryzen 3rd Gen and changing my GPU.

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
With AMD releasing the new Ryzen Gen and also the new 5700, I've been wondering if I should upgrade. My current specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600X
RX470 8GB
B350M-A
8GB RAM

I've seen how much they are going for and the price is, quite literally, almost the same as it was when I bought my CPU and mobo (in my country). Thing is, I only upgraded last year, though my GPU is almost 4 years old. People are recommending this a lot and I'm very anxious because the price is so tempting. What should I do?

Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with gpu. If you are at 1080p then a gtx1660ti or rtx2060 is as much as you'll need for 95% of games to get ultra and decent fps. If you are thinking of also upgrading monitor to 1440p then I'd go for a 2070. Not sure how well the upcoming radeon 5700 will do, but that's maybe an option.

Cpu sets fps limit. Gpu has to live up to it. So an upgrade will get you some better fps, as it'll set the cpu free to do so. Upto the cpu limits.

If the limit isn't enough, then go for cpu upgrade, R5 3600, but understand ram will play a role in all this, 3200MHz is default for Zen2, and a 20% bonus in performance over 2133MHz.

8Gb may also be a factor, some games use enough ram that system total usage exceeds 7Gb, so windows will start portioning some of your storage as additional ram using pagefile.sys and it sucks the life out of the fps.

rockerm1

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Start with gpu. If you are at 1080p then a gtx1660ti or rtx2060 is as much as you'll need for 95% of games to get ultra and decent fps. If you are thinking of also upgrading monitor to 1440p then I'd go for a 2070. Not sure how well the upcoming radeon 5700 will do, but that's maybe an option.

Cpu sets fps limit. Gpu has to live up to it. So an upgrade will get you some better fps, as it'll set the cpu free to do so. Upto the cpu limits.

If the limit isn't enough, then go for cpu upgrade, R5 3600, but understand ram will play a role in all this, 3200MHz is default for Zen2, and a 20% bonus in performance over 2133MHz.

8Gb may also be a factor, some games use enough ram that system total usage exceeds 7Gb, so windows will start portioning some of your storage as additional ram using pagefile.sys and it sucks the life out of the fps.

So basically, get a new GPU and see how good my fps get and also another stick of 8GB. Do you know, instead of Nvidia, of an AMD GPU that it's worth getting right now? Thank you.