Upgrading to Ryzen 5 from FX 6300, I have questions!

Xenokal

Honorable
Jun 2, 2017
Hello, As I have stated in the topic title, I am upgrading from FX 6300 to Ryzen 5 2600.
I want to make sure I get the correct motherboard for my CPU (without having to update any bios)
I am also on a tight budget max 500 dollars. So I am shooting for Black Friday/Cyber monday as my window of opportunity on some deals on good parts. So here are my actual questions.

1) X470, X370, B450, B350 what do these mean?
2) What would be a cheap, dependable mobo to get for a Ryzen 5 2600?
3) Would a GTX 1060 6GB perform well if paired with a Ryzen 5 2600? (any bottlenecking?)
4) Power supply size recommendation? (I do not plan on overclocking)
5) If I have a secondary drive for storage, would it need to be wiped or can I transfer over w/o a problem? I know I have to wipe the drive for the OS but do I need to wipe the Slave Drive?

I build my own PCs but I am a novice, so I do not know the ins-&-outs too well. Any advice is welcome~

Finally an R5 question!!

The Numbers (B450, X470) are types of motherboards. I’m currently working on a R5 build, and I’m using a B450. The specific model can be found here (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pBWfrH/msi-b450-a-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro) , and is quite cheap (I’m on a budget too)

Coincidentally, I’m using a 1060 as well. No. Bottlenecks probably won’t happen (don’t trust thebottlenecker.com, it’s really incorrect). I’d suggest a semi-modular PSU, you can find some cheap ones for under $30. I’m using this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na .

Hope this helps!

-Pie

racksmith101

Respectable
1 X470/370 more features than B450/350
2 depends on features you require. (Don't cheap out if you're getting a 2600).
3 it'll be fine.(Or a RX580 or 1070 if budget allows)
4 500+Watt (again don't cheap out get something decentt)
5 Secondary drive will be ok (better off with SSD for OS)
6 Get 16Gb ram (2 X 8gb sticks 3000mhz or 3200mhz)

Dachuster

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
The Numbers specifying a type of mother board. Any AM4 Socket Motherboard will work. If you want a good and cheap mobo I would look into ASRock. They make solid boards, I'm currently using a ASROCK AB350M Pro4, Its a cheap, good micro ATX motherboard so it is a bit smaller than a standard ATX board.

Word to the wise, dont worry about cooling for the Ryzen CPU's they run pretty well on stock coolers (as long as you get a spire cooler). If you dont have one you can buy super cheap coolers that have great reviews.

A GTX 1060 will be fine for gaming just don't expect to max out newer titles and get 60fps, even at 1080p. If you have the budget I would look into buying a used GTX 1070 ti / gtx 1080 off ebay. I know ebay seems sketchy but if you buy from a good seller you will be fine, or try your chances at bidding for a GPU you can get one for around $300. (I did this and was very pleased with what I got)

A 550W power supply will be fine, it leaves room for upgradability and shouldn't be too expensive, just don't skimp by buying a super cheap brand. Also I would recommend either going full modular or semi-modular. Having extra cables coming out of the PSU can be very annoying when space is limited in a smaller build.

Your drive doesn't need to be wiped when installing new hardware, just make sure all old drivers are uninstalled before you intsall the drivers for the new hardware. I would recommend a clean install if you have the ability to back up your old data, this will enable a clean slate to work from which will be a better experience for new hardware.

Good luck! Don't be discouraged by confusing numbers/ model names etc. If you see hardware you like, watch or read a review to better understand what its capable of.

X470, X370, B450, B350 refer to the support chipsets series for AM4 motherboards, there are other chipsets but they do not allow overclocking and are mostly used for OEM-built computer systems. 370/470 are the top-end chipsets that offer more PCIe lanes for more high-speed devices like hard drives and to SLI two or more Nvidia GPU's. The 400-series chipsets are second generation, therefore 'improved' and support the 2000-series Ryzen processors, like an R5 2600, better simply because you can be confident it will come with a compatible BIOS. Also, because they are second generation, motherboards built on them are generally improved from those built on first generation 300-series chipsets but that's not always the case.

In general any b450/x470 motherboard you get for Ryzen will work well enough. Especially since you're not looking to overclock I'd suggest you look at features. Remember that the 470/370 chipset's primary selling point is more PCIe lanes and SLI capability: if you don't have a need for a lot of drives (more than 4 plus an M.2 NVME) or multiple x16 AIC's you will save by going with a 350/450 board. So then, focus on things like the mix of USB types: 3.1gen2 and ty C ports, audio codec and number of M.2 slots. Also, arrangement of slots on a board can be important depending on your case.

I'd suggest, if you need a recommendation: MSI B450 Tomahawk for ATX and MSI B450M Mortar or Asrock B450M Pro 4 for mATX. These aren't the cheapest, but they also aren't terribly expensive yet have capable, well-cooled VRM designs. There are several others would do you just as well since you don't plan on overclocking.

The 2600 is considered the 'sweet spot' for gaming...not as costly as an 8 core but a couple extra cores for those multi-threaded games that are coming out. I think it should pair very well with 1060.

As far as moving your installation to new computer: I assume you're running Windows 10? What you can do is just move the drive into the new system. It may or may not start up but even if it does it would probably be buggy so I'd do a 'repair install' of Windows 10. This installs the latest version you download from Microsoft using the Media Creation Tool, on top of an existing installation while keeping all settings and installed softwares. Instructions are found here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

You also don't need to wipe the second drive but do make sure it's using the same drive letter in the new system. Also, you'll probably have to re-activate any installed software that looks at hardware configuration so be ready for that with the appropriate keys. If your old windows was an OEM license you'll need a new license key to activate it after the repair install.

Dachuster

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

They can be pretty substantial, I remember I was able to get a Ryzen 1700 for around $200 at the time.