[SOLVED] Upgrading to Ryzen 9 and RTX 3080

Sep 19, 2020
Hi Guys - I'm looking to make some upgrades to my current PC. Please go easy if I'm missed anything glaringly obvious as this is my first time attempting an upgrade myself and am very much learning this whole process!

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

System Usage: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Possibly - currently have an EG 35" UWQHD Curved Gaming Monitor 100Hz / 1ms

Parts to Upgrade: GPU (RTX 380) , CPU (Ryzen 9 3900 X) and probably motherboard (really not sure which) and PSU if necessary

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire:No

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440 UWQHD - 100hz/1ms (is it worth upgrading to 240hz?)

Additional Comments: Mainly playing COD and WoW but looking to future proof myself.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Looking for better overall performance.

Here's my current system -

CASE: NZXT H500 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 6-Core 3.40GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo
FAN: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator
M2SSD: 256GB (1x256GB) Intel 760p M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
HDD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive
MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memor
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS: M-ATX
POWERSUPPLY: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W 80+
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB - DX12

Thanks in advance for your valuable info!

Stay safe all :)

Solution
You don't "have" to upgrade your board, but that is a pretty meh board, so im not sure the power delivery on it is sufficient for the r9.

That case is an oven, but as long as you dont block its intake, it should be fine.

Please get a new psu.
That psu actually has (Barely) enough wattage, but it's just a way too low quality unit.
A 650-750 watt high quality unit would be much better.

It's probably not worth upgrading to 240hz.
You don't "have" to upgrade your board, but that is a pretty meh board, so im not sure the power delivery on it is sufficient for the r9.

That case is an oven, but as long as you dont block its intake, it should be fine.

Please get a new psu.
That psu actually has (Barely) enough wattage, but it's just a way too low quality unit.
A 650-750 watt high quality unit would be much better.

It's probably not worth upgrading to 240hz.

Reactions: Cooksonite
Solution
Sep 19, 2020
Thanks for the info Siaan312.

I’m now wondering whether I should just sell my current pc as a complete unit and build another from the ground up?! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’m now wondering whether I should just sell my current pc as a complete unit and build another from the ground up?! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Good luck selling anything mid-quarantine mid rtx 3000 launch.