[SOLVED] Upgrading to ryzen

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
I have currently a fx 8370 and I stream, I'm moving on to a ryzen 1600, is that a significant upgrade moving from "8" cores (let's just say 4), to 6?

Solution
It'll be a substantial upgrade, you can't just look at the core count or even speed. The performance per core from the FX to the Ryzen CPU's is quite significant and should be much better for gaming/streaming then your current CPU.

With the release of 3rd gen coming out in a couple of months you should be able to find a 1600 for fairly cheap, $80 if you live near a Microcenter and they do bundles which usually save around $30. Just be sure to pair it with a B450 motherboard as they have better memory compatibility then the previous B350 boards.

WildCard999

Titan
It'll be a substantial upgrade, you can't just look at the core count or even speed. The performance per core from the FX to the Ryzen CPU's is quite significant and should be much better for gaming/streaming then your current CPU.

With the release of 3rd gen coming out in a couple of months you should be able to find a 1600 for fairly cheap, $80 if you live near a Microcenter and they do bundles which usually save around $30. Just be sure to pair it with a B450 motherboard as they have better memory compatibility then the previous B350 boards.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

I just came from a microcenter with a 1600, I made sure to go their because of the price like you said. I got a B450 board too.