[SOLVED] Upgrading to W10 on new SSD from W7 on old HDD?

astralwolf

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello lovelies.

I have a Windows 7 64bit Home Basic Edition on my old HDD WD Blue 1TB. I am planning to get a new 1TB Crucial Mx500 SSD. I wish to use the free upgrade option offered by Microsoft. So, W7 on old HDD ---> W10 on new SSD.

What is the least painful/easiest/best way to go about this? I would like to carryover my data and programs to the new SSD if at all possible. Or are there any other suggestions on smarter ways to do this. Thank you.

Solution
If you have the license key for the OS, keep it handy and use that license key when asked during the installation process. If the system you have was pre-activated, then all you need to do is reinstall the OS from scratch. You're advised to install the OS from scratch.

Fabricate the installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. Don't clone, reinstall, is what I'm saying.

Desktop or laptop? Specs for the system/(make and model)SKU for the laptop

Lutfij

Titan
If you have the license key for the OS, keep it handy and use that license key when asked during the installation process. If the system you have was pre-activated, then all you need to do is reinstall the OS from scratch. You're advised to install the OS from scratch.

Fabricate the installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. Don't clone, reinstall, is what I'm saying.

Desktop or laptop? Specs for the system/(make and model)SKU for the laptop

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution