[SOLVED] Upgrading to win 10

Apr 1, 2020
I bought HDD and I'm upgrading to win 10 from 7. If i put my documents and pictures to that new HDD, plug it out and move them to win 10. Will everything be ok? Because my old HDD with win 7 is going to die soon and I need those documents 160gbs.

Solution
I would do as maikutech said
  1. Get a 16GB or bigger USB 3.0 flash drive.
  2. Create windows 10 install media from the media creation tool.
  3. Remove the old HDD
  4. Install the new SSD & HDD
  5. Plug flash drive in and turn on PC
  6. Install windows on new SSD drive setup your documents folders to use new HDD
  7. Shutdown system
  8. Install old HDD as a slave drive
  9. Move the files of your choice to corresponding folders
  10. Dispose of old HDD
  11. Go here and maybe learn about how to use the file system if you'd like to.
Apr 1, 2020
Look. My HDD on my rig is going to die(slow bsods and freezes) I bought two drives. Ssd for os and hdd for files. I'm asking if I put my new HDD in the old Rig and copy files documents pictures etc. And put that new drive into my new win 10 pc. Will it work? Files will be ok?

Look. My HDD on my rig is going to die(slow bsods and freezes) I bought two drives. Ssd for os and hdd for files. I'm asking if I put my new HDD in the old Rig and copy files documents pictures etc. And put that new drive into my new win 10 pc. Will it work? Files will be ok?

Unplug your old hdd, plug in your new hdd, have your windows installation usb or dvd ready to go.
Once the windows installation is done, plug in your old hard drive.

Boot to your new hdd, once your are logged in, take whatever files that is most important to you.
After that unplug the old hard drive, end of problems.

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
I would do as maikutech said
  1. Get a 16GB or bigger USB 3.0 flash drive.
  2. Create windows 10 install media from the media creation tool.
  3. Remove the old HDD
  4. Install the new SSD & HDD
  5. Plug flash drive in and turn on PC
  6. Install windows on new SSD drive setup your documents folders to use new HDD
  7. Shutdown system
  8. Install old HDD as a slave drive
  9. Move the files of your choice to corresponding folders
  10. Dispose of old HDD
  11. Go here and maybe learn about how to use the file system if you'd like to.

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
is there a reason not to install the new HDD?
By what the user said I think he would need Windows to setup the folders for them.
"I bought two drives. Ssd for os and hdd for files. "

OS goes on the SSD.