Upgrading to Win10 from Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

iAmAdrian

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm planning on upgrading my system but unfortunately I don't have any flash drives higher than 4GB and no optic drive too.

I've downloaded a tool from this website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install though.

I haven't worked on it yet but is this going to download an .ISO file?
*If so, how does this work exactly? Mount the .ISO file on some sort of virtual drive(e.g. Daemon Tools) and just run it on my desktop?

*I don't plan on losing the files on my backup drive("C:" is my OS drive while "D:" is my backup/storing stuff drive). So is it safe to just place all important files on D: and just do the upgrade?

Is there a detailed video somewhere where I can see how this is done the right way?

Thanks in advance.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You absolutely need a dvd or a flash drive as far as i know. Im not sure if its even an iso I opened it and it looked like a bunch of different files. And even if it was an iso I dont think you can use iso mounting software to install an operating system. If you haven't bought windows 10 you need to do the upgrade first to able to use your windows 7 key. You can do a clean install after the upgrade.

I can say from personal experience that that's another way of doing it.

Here's how I upgraded my PC's.

1. Downloaded the media creation tool.
2. let it download windows.
3. Select the upgrade button (not the "create media" button)
4. Let it run upgrades.
5. Let it restart and let windows 10 install for 30 minutes.

iAmAdrian

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
I got it going but unfortunately I got stuck on a black screen.
Not like the others who have similar issues which have a black screen WITH mouse cursor. Mine was just plain black.

I thought that if I left it running for the next few hours it would eventually load everything up, but it didn't. And by few hours, I meant I left it running for a solid 5 hours.

I restarted it, and it says something about "recovering installation blah blah". And same thing, got stuck on the black screen for another hour. So, I did a force shut down, waited for about 5mins and rebooted it. And then it says "restoring to previous version of windows blah blah".

So yeah, here I am. Back to my Windows 7. And I think... When I ran the upgrade it ate some space off of my OS drive. If memory serves, I lost 4GB from that failed installation. I tried finding it(showing all folders) but no luck.

What do you guys think was wrong? Why did I get a black screen? Now I'm scared to try and do it again. I figured I just got lucky with the OS restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.