Upgrading to window 10 with fresh install and SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I am bought a new SSD 250(gig) to upgrade to window 10(currently on window 7). i have a few question

Is it true you can only upgrade to window 10 from window 7 and not a fresh install? i also heard that you can create a window 10 boot disk after that? if that's true then can i just create a win 10 boot disk from my current harddrive and install it on the SSD?

If not then i guess i have to install win7 on my SSD first. but to do that, do i have to wipe everything from the harddrive(once i can run win7 on ssd)? can i somehow delete window 7 from the hard drive without removing any file and set it as secondary drive? or do i have to move the file to a external storage and delete everything?

Solution
Current indications state it thusly:
Upgrade your current WIn 7 or 8.1 to the release of Win 10, sometime after July 29
Obtain the ISO file for that Win 10
Create your boot media, DVD or USB
Use that to do a clean install on the drive, overwriting what is on there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
"Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade...

USAFRet

Titan
Current indications state it thusly:
Upgrade your current WIn 7 or 8.1 to the release of Win 10, sometime after July 29
Obtain the ISO file for that Win 10
Create your boot media, DVD or USB
Use that to do a clean install on the drive, overwriting what is on there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
"Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded."

For removing Win 7 on your current drive....you need to save anything you want to keep elsewhere, and then wipe the drive and use it as needed.

Solution

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

oh i see,seems like option 1 with win10 boot disk is the easiest, but dam it tempting play with the SSD once you got it.

i got a external hdd but i dont think it can will fit everything. can you say create two partition on the hhd. one with win 7 and other empty. and move file to the empty partition and then delete in the win 7 partition?

also is there any way to test ssd working without installing os?

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
ok thanks. just kinda worry it may be faulty on arrival and out of return period since win10 is out on the 29th

actually one last question, said if i install win7 on my ssd. can i still access the file on my win7 hdd ?

USAFRet

Titan

Files, yes. Applications, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.