Question Upgrading to windows 10. Folder structure changes. Documents and my documents.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
Hi all,
So in windows 7 there were two folders called documents. One tied to the library folder (together with music, pictures and video folders) and my documents folder, which was located directly under user profile.
I do not know if i am getting this right, but from what i read, in win 10 we no longer have two "documents " folder. They are merged into one.
Am i getting this right, if so will my games/programs profiles/settings will be affected in any way?
Or did i misread.
Anyhow thank you for the clarification.
Have a nice day,
Cheers,

will my games/programs profiles/settings will be affected in any way?
you should be backing up all of your important personal files before attempting any OS change no matter what the folder structures are.
you never know what issues may arise during the upgrade related to any user accounts or any drives themselves.

game profiles are stored in many different locations in Windows.
some in your personal 'My Games' folder and other personal folders, some in the system 'ProgramData' folder, others in basic 'Users' folders, etc.
some may even be using multiple folders for separate data; ini files, save files, mod files, etc.

some games will not even function right off the bat after the upgrade without a reinstall.

after the upgrade and any necessary reinstallation of said games you should have their data backed up to replace as needed to whatever location needed.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all,
So in windows 7 there were two folders called documents. One tied to the library folder (together with music, pictures and video folders) and my documents folder, which was located directly under user profile.
I do not know if i am getting this right, but from what i read, in win 10 we no longer have two "documents " folder. They are merged into one.
Am i getting this right, if so will my games/programs profiles/settings will be affected in any way?
Or did i misread.
Anyhow thank you for the clarification.
Have a nice day,
Cheers,
Before any upgrade like this, you need to have a known good 100% backup of any personal data you do not wish to lose.
Bad things can happen.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
you should be backing up all of your important personal files before attempting any OS change no matter what the folder structures are.
you never know what issues may arise during the upgrade related to any user accounts or any drives themselves.

some in your personal 'My Games' folder and other personal folders, some in the system 'ProgramData' folder, others in basic 'Users' folders, etc.
some may even be using multiple folders for separate data; ini files, save files, mod files, etc.

some games will not even function right off the bat after the upgrade without a reinstall.

after the upgrade and any necessary reinstallation of said games you should have their data backed up to replace as needed to whatever location needed.
My games folder is another folder altogether. It is located in my documents folder. True, for example save games, game setting and info for pathfinder games is located in AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games.
I am not talking about registry and running them out of the bat. I am talking about saved variables.
Let me show you what i mean by document and my documents folders.

Przechwytywanie.png

Before any upgrade like this, you need to have a known good 100% backup of any personal data you do not wish to lose.
Bad things can happen.
I will be buying a new ssd for win 10. Documents folder is located on my 2nd hdd drive, my documents folder is located on 3rd hdd drive.

My games folder is another folder altogether. It is located in my documents folder.
as I stated,

you can reassign the Documents, Pictures, Music, etc folders as you wish.

whether the games will use this folder as their default depends on the game itself.
many use different paths so you will still need your files backed up before the new OS is installed and replace as necessary.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
as I stated,

you can reassign the Documents, Pictures, Music, etc folders as you wish.

whether the games will use this folder as their default depends on the game itself.
many use different paths so you will still need your files backed up before the new OS is installed and replace as necessary.
Thanks for the info.
And however you did this Library relocation in Win 7, it is not the same procedure in Win 10.

In the past, this lib relocation was sort of a good idea, simply due to small SSD sizes.
Today, not so much.
I will try to find the resolution when i install the new os.
The amount of data i held in document folder is rather huge, some stuff in there is even from my windows xp days.

USAFRet

Titan
For that, I'd just leave the Windows Libraries in their default locations.
Relocating those used to be beneficial, when SSDs were tiny. Like 120GB.

Today, not so much.

But if you DO want data to reside elsewhere, Windows and applications have gotten really good at this, even with the Libs in their regular places.

Just save a file in whatever other space you want, and the next time that application wants to save something, it will generally default to that alternate place.

Or the Downloads library.
Mine is changed in the browsers. And it is a sub folder on a whole different physical system, my NAS.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
For that, I'd just leave the Windows Libraries in their default locations.
Relocating those used to be beneficial, when SSDs were tiny. Like 120GB.

Today, not so much.

But if you DO want data to reside elsewhere, Windows and applications have gotten really good at this, even with the Libs in their regular places.

Just save a file in whatever other space you want, and the next time that application wants to save something, it will generally default to that alternate place.

Or the Downloads library.
Mine is changed in the browsers. And it is a sub folder on a whole different physical system, my NAS.
A lot of games store there profiles in documents folder rather where they are installed nowadays.
I have 2 4TB WD red drives for storing data.
My user and library folders combined are taking over 380 GB of storage.
So yeah, i would prefer not to keep them on my ssd xD

USAFRet

Titan
A lot of games store there profiles in documents folder rather where they are installed nowadays.
I have 2 4TB WD red drives for storing data.
My user and library folders combined are taking over 380 GB of storage.
So yeah, i would prefer not to keep them on my ssd xD
Relocating the Libraries is different in Win 10 vs 7.
For Win 10, this: