Upgrading to Windows 10 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little99

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Hi everyone, so I have a quick question about upgrading to Windows 10. Currently, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

If you choose to do an upgrade instead of a clean install, do the Windows 10 files overwrite the Windows 7 files? Or are they entirely separate? The reason I'm asking is I have a small C drive and I can't fit both operating systems on it at the same time. Do the Windows 7 files still linger in your system or do they get completely overwritten? Thanks in advance!

Solution
all old things on main drive (program files, user profiles, windows) are stored in windows.old folder. It takes space.
For 8.1 to 10 upgrade with pretty much nothing installed except chrome, it still totals to 9.2GB for windows.old.

Installation procedure needs a bit more space than that though. supposedly around 16GB or so in addition to 3GB download.

so.. 20GB free before starting it unless you download/make usb/dvd first

Seoulja615

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I recommend doing an upgrade first and then Fresh install after.

I upgraded from Windows 7 ultimate. When I upgraded under systems in Windows 10 it had my old microsoft key from windows 7. I had some apps not working properly so I went through the recovery tab in windows 10 and did a fresh install and now i have a new key.

all old things on main drive (program files, user profiles, windows) are stored in windows.old folder. It takes space.
For 8.1 to 10 upgrade with pretty much nothing installed except chrome, it still totals to 9.2GB for windows.old.

Installation procedure needs a bit more space than that though. supposedly around 16GB or so in addition to 3GB download.

so.. 20GB free before starting it unless you download/make usb/dvd first

Solution

Little99

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Am I able to delete the windows.old folder after Windows 10 is installed to free up the space again? Or is it protected against deletion?

Isn't that kinda redundant though? Mine as well just perform a clean install at that point instead of doing both. So you're saying do a clean install and not an upgrade?

You should be able to delete it either manually or through windows clean up wizard thing. It is there in case you want to revert back to old windows or if something has gone missing/wrong in update.

like some documents from the profile or certain program in program files that somehow broke in upgrade or.. such.

Jonas Vandy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

You can delete it,[strike] but if you are doing the free upgrade, then it will only last a year before they prompt you to buy Windows 10 or revert you back to your old OS (was told this by a Microsoft employee) so I recommend you either keep it where it is, or back it up on a storage drive (unless you plan on buying it in the future)[/strike]

umm, no, the "you need to buy it after the year" part is false.

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost."

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Jonas Vandy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

I suppose I was talking to the new guy then. Apologies for any confusion.

Seoulja615

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
redundant yes. I had issues with the upgrade with my existing applications. Weird thing is when i upgraded I kept my serial key but when i went to recovery settings and did a fresh install it gave me new serial number. You dont have to upgrade and do a fresh install. I just recommended because it give you another windows key for windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.