Upgrading to Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan

I have a 8 year old Toshiba laptop.
Celeron 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM.

If anything, it is slightly faster on Win 10 than it was on Win 7.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I agree with USAFRet and sizzling that the age of the CPU is more irrelevant with Windows 10. That is a misconception carried over from past OS's.

I do recommend, however, checking you laptop's manufacturer website for driver support for 10. If your on 32bit then drivers will likely be good to go. 64bit can sometimes be less supported. I've upgraded nearly 2 dozen different laptops from 7 to 10 and that's why I know this. Windows will attempt to use its own but you may need to download specific ones. I recommend grabbing whatever they have and extracting them to a flash drive-just in case.

The free update is pretty much over. You could try the builtin upgrade option via your systems properties page. For some people their keys will still carry over and let you upgrade. Any slowness in the process will be more to do with your internet connection and hard drive speeds. If it lets you, the process could take 2-3 hours or more. You might get lucky and get it done in a little over an hour. If it does, follow the instructions it gives exactly. That's very important.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not true in the slightest, if anything its noticeably faster. His PC may not support it due to driver issues, but its extremely rare for 7 to be faster than 10.

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Well than i have 13 fujitsu machines core2 e5500 3.0ghz with 2gb ddr3, they came with win10, they were sluggihs and hald of good old games didnt work on it or were lagging like hell, after i reverted them all to windows 7 they were reborn and everything works just fine, i even tested CS:Source with 8 machines ( 4 using win 7 , 4 using win10 ) i used benchmark inside the game and the results were constant, with windows 7 giving 6 fps more (42 avg).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

As mentioned its possible those machines did not have proper Windows 10 driver support. Otherwise 10 is faster. I've upgraded MANY machines of many different ages and all were noticeably faster with 10, as many others here can confirm.

icecappacino

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Not sure if it has this....but will check. Currently I'm experiencing this problem I'll attempt it again once i get over this problem