[SOLVED] Upgrading to Windows 10

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
I have been trying to upgrade my dads work laptop to windows 10 and cannot get it to work. It fails every time at 77% and I have no clue why. I have tried disabling norton, changed bios to UEFI, tried off updating off usb. There was a display driver issue that I updated and fixed but still no luck. I am about to take to Geek squad or something unless I can get a fix but I about done looking at this screen.

The only error I am getting is "Windows installation has failed"

Link to occurrence happening:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5glb4ZadW8&feature=youtu.be

Solution
Make sure all Win 7 updates are done, remove any anti-virus at all on the system if you have more than just Norton. Make sure all the files are backed up and run the sfc /scannow command at a DOS prompt.

Did you check to make sure his laptop model has Windows 10 support?

Once the scan is done reboot and try again. I doubt a random computer tech will be able to resolve this, especially at BestBuy. Most of those are not very experienced.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
When you say his "work laptop" is this owned by him for work or did his job provide him the system? If the latter, don't touch it and have his work IT people do the upgrade if they think it's needed.

Unfortunately he owns the business and doesn’t have an IT guy. I’m technically his IT guy. I am a software engineer (in college) cannot figure out the problem

Make sure all Win 7 updates are done, remove any anti-virus at all on the system if you have more than just Norton. Make sure all the files are backed up and run the sfc /scannow command at a DOS prompt.

Did you check to make sure his laptop model has Windows 10 support?

Once the scan is done reboot and try again. I doubt a random computer tech will be able to resolve this, especially at BestBuy. Most of those are not very experienced.

Solution