[SOLVED] Upgrading to Windows 11 question

Sep 1, 2021
Do the bios settings that allow my NVme drive to be seen and boot windows 10 make it incompatible to upgrade to Win 11?

In bios of my Asus Tuf Gaming x570, I set secure boot and installed hardware TPM 2. I then set everything to uefi. On save and reboot it went back into bios instead of windows. I then changed back some bios settings to uefi and legacy and the nvme was now seen and booted windows. Is this what is keeping the win 11 upgrade advisor from saying ok to Win 11?

Lutfij

Titan
See if disabling Secure Boot and TPM2.0 allows you to boot the system while everything is in UEFI(not CSM) mode. If you're able to boot into the OS while in UEFI mode, Secure Boot/TPM2.0 disabled then I'm curious enough to ask if your Windows 10 OS is activated(?) On another note, can you boot to OS GUI with merely Secure Boot enabled and in UEFI mode?

Do the bios settings that allow my NVme drive to be seen and boot windows 10 make it incompatible to upgrade to Win 11?

In bios of my Asus Tuf Gaming x570, I set secure boot and installed hardware TPM 2. I then set everything to uefi. On save and reboot it went back into bios instead of windows. I then changed back some bios settings to uefi and legacy and the nvme was now seen and booted windows. Is this what is keeping the win 11 upgrade advisor from saying ok to Win 11?
NVMe is not a requirement for W11.

Sep 1, 2021
See if disabling Secure Boot and TPM2.0 allows you to boot the system while everything is in UEFI(not CSM) mode. If you're able to boot into the OS while in UEFI mode, Secure Boot/TPM2.0 disabled then I'm curious enough to ask if your Windows 10 OS is activated(?) On another note, can you boot to OS GUI with merely Secure Boot enabled and in UEFI mode?
I am pretty sure Win 10 activated. I am on the insider preview program. Before the Win 11 announcements I was running my new build in Legacy/uefi with secure boot and tpm disabled. all worked fine and nvme was recognized. I tried an experiment to see what would happen if I enabled only uefi setting in bios. so the mb failed to boot from the nvme (said was no boot drive). I enabled some
eufi/legacy settings with hardware tpm enabled and secure boot. It worked also. The window 11 compatibilty app says it is problem with secure boot. At this time there no bios updates indicated from Asus.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Wolf_3d
Solution
Sep 1, 2021
What partition type is the NVME drive using ?
Well, maybe this is it. The NVme is a mbr partition. Do I need some special software to change it to gpt
this. sounds like its using mbr
right click start
choose disk management
right click the nvme and choose properties
click on volumes tab
what partition style is showing?

if you on MBR, you can swap to GPT and then use UEFI/Secure boot - https://it-infrastructure.solutions/how-to-switch-from-legacy-to-uefi-boot-mode-mbr2gpt-convertion/
Yes. interesting that the nvme is mbr and the other 3 hdd are gpt. will i need to blow it all away and reinstall or can it be through software?

Sep 1, 2021
This gives something new to try. This may well be the answer I was looking for. I will backup the nvme and do what is required to convert to gpt.
Thanks you very much
Greg

Sep 1, 2021
It's a fairly painless procedure to convert to GPT with no need to delete anything...always a good idea to backup first (y)
I just went ahead and did the conversion to gpt according to your info. Success. Only issue was a message to "Call WinReReapir to repair WinRegnt" (not sure spelling). I checked bios it had automatically picked Windows/eufi. I didn't have to change anything in bios. It booted into windows normally with data intact. I did winregnt /enable and that was successful.
When I went into the updates window i was able to pick beta channel and it is now uploading Windows 11.
You were an awesome help. Thanks again.

Reactions: dorsai