Upgrading to windows 7 hangs at Expanding Windows files (3%)

gligaugandastrong

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018
So i had Windows XP for some time and i wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 so i borrowed a Windows 7 disc and i restarted the computer and started the installation,everything was fine until it stopped at Expanding Windows files (27%) so i waited about 1 hour or more and it was still on 27 % so i tried restarting computer and trying the installation again, this time it hanged at 1% so i kept on restarting and trying again and it just hangs at a random number,sometimes at 98%

I don't know much about computers but the windows i'm upgrading to is Windows 7 SP1 x64
If you need any computer information then ask me , but i only know that it has around 2 gb od RAM and 1.80 Ghz. Thanks !

Solution
There is no real point upgrading to Vista, even if the minimum specs for Vista are lower than 7. It's also difficult to find Vista anywhere as it's essentially abondonware like XP.

You may have better luck installing the 32-bit (x86) version of Windows 7 as it requires less RAM. It would make more sense anyways to run 32-bit as your system has so little RAM.

jr9

Estimable
First thing I would try is leaving it installing overnight. Sometimes on older machines Windows installs can take a very, very long time. An extremely slow install can mimic a frozen one.

The model number of the PC would be very useful if it is an prebuilt PC. My first thoughts are that the system possibly doesn't support Windows 7. 2GB of RAM and 1.8GHz sounds like a very low power and older machine which was never designed to run Windows 7. Also 64-bit Windows isn't a great idea as you don't have over 4GB of RAM. 64 bit Windows 7 also needs 2GB or RAM bare minimum to run.

gligaugandastrong

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018

I did try to leave it overnight. How do i get the model number from my PC ?

gligaugandastrong

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018

No i don't see any numbers or stickers,could it be that the disc is damaged,or win 7 can't be installed ? Should i try other windows or to install with a usb ?

jr9

Estimable
There is no real point upgrading to Vista, even if the minimum specs for Vista are lower than 7. It's also difficult to find Vista anywhere as it's essentially abondonware like XP.

You may have better luck installing the 32-bit (x86) version of Windows 7 as it requires less RAM. It would make more sense anyways to run 32-bit as your system has so little RAM.

Solution